Say Not Farewell by cuarthol

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“I thought I was stronger than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.” – Colleen Hoover


For the prompt epistolary.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships: Finrod & Galadriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Family, General

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 500
Posted on 26 October 2023 Updated on 26 October 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Say Not Farewell

Read Say Not Farewell

Unto my beloved sister Artanis, upon whom the fair lord Celeborn has bestowed the most fitting epessë Galadriel, written by the hand of Finrod Felagund, by the grace and mercy of Ulmo King of Nargothrond.

Warmest greetings do I send, and pray as always that this letter finds you in both health and joy.

Too long has it been since I have embraced you, and wish I could have delivered this letter into your hands myself.  Alas, duty binds me and I must entrust its delivery to another.  Judge me not too harshly, for it grieved me to do so and I could not bear your displeasure in addition.

Four hundred and fifty six years have now passed since the first rising of the sun over Beleriand.  Too short these years seem, the wider lands ever fleeting, ever changing.  I confess a certain love of stone for its steadfastness and consistency.

Do you recall, dear heart, when together we gazed east and wondered at what lands lay even further beyond?  Even for the love of my halls, my heart yearns to know those lands; to walk beneath new forests and delight in undefiled waters.

Would that I could cast off my cares and wander there now, to walk beside you and sing as we once did.  Oh dearest, I long to hear you laugh again, to see that bright spark of joy in your face and kiss your brow.  I recall how you danced upon the shores of Eldamar with pearls in your hair, seafoam sparkling at your feet.

Could you be persuaded to gather such faithful and worthy companions and journey across the mountains, that you might share with me what lies beyond?  Surely you could write such a report as could brighten even the dimmest of my deep halls, and I would smile to see through your eyes those untouched lands.

I know it is a great burden to ask, but such a joy would it be to my heart to know you, at least, could see such wondrous new sights.  To aid in such a task I have written letters of introduction for you to present to the Dwarves of Nagrod, with whom I have an old friendship.  I trust that they would assist in whatever way you might need, but if you need a little more to smooth your way I also send this chest of jewels.  Be generous with them.

You will go, will you not?  I am eager to know what may be found.  Forgive me if I seem impatient; perhaps the stone is not good for me after all.  I miss the unveiled stars and the song of wild night birds.

See to yourself diligently, do not be rash but listen to the wisdom which Melian has imparted.  I must believe it will serve you well.

Know that in all the wild lands I love none more than you.  In spirit I will go with you, and pray to Eru to keep you.


Chapter End Notes

In The Lord of the Rings, Galadriel says [of Celeborn]

"He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains and together through the ages of the world we have fought the long defeat."

I imagine Finrod, knowing his own doom was at hand and fearing for the loss of his last remaining sibling, urged her to flee before destruction took all of Beleriand.


'Brother' story to I Go To Find The Sun


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, what an interesting speculation -- that it was Finrod who prompted that move on Galadriel's part. Very nicely done, and the partner piece, too. He sounds so miserable in his beautiful hole in the ground, though. Poor Ingo.

Alas, I think poor Ingo's misery was due to... how do you write what you know is your last letter to your sister?  I think it was wanting to urge her to flee without being... alarming? I can honestly see him sitting there re-writing it over and over, trying to find the right balance, all the time knowing he is going to his end and all that he leaves behind... 

I'm so glad you liked it, thank you!