Nenlindalë by Anérea

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Inspired by:

Fanwork Information

Description:

A love letter between Daeron and Maglor in the form of musical notation.

(Asemic music notation and song lyrics)

Major Characters:

Major Relationships: Daeron/Maglor

Genre: Experimental

Type: Abstract/Pattern, Calligraphy, Word Art

Challenges: Experimental

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 14 November 2023 Updated on 14 November 2023

Nenlindalë — a song of water

To keep their correspondence from falling into the wrong hands, Daeron and Maglor devised a musical notation by which they could communicate, and which, they discovered, could convey abstract thought and emotion far better than any language previously devised...

 

Asemic music notation

Chapter End Notes

I've often wondered what Elvish music notation looked like, and when I saw ancient Tibetan Buddhist music notation, I knew that something of the ancient Elves had survived through the ages.



Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh I love this so much! The beauty of the "language" here is bringing tears to my eyes and is so very in the spirit of Tolkien (and Daeron and Maglor as I imagine them, of course). A perfect title for the piece also. 

I know it's not for me but it feels like a gift to me so thank you for creating it 💖.

Thank you! (My inner closet-bling wouldn't let me not add sparkly aqua-coloured details!)

I cannot hear anything when looking at regular sheet music, whereas the Tibetan music really "spoke" to me and suddenly all made sense that one could communicate feelings through it.

Glad you like it!

This is so beautiful!!  It looks like clouds or waves.  Stunning

I adore the inspiration! (both the notation and the pairing)  And I love how you have worked this into thoughts about them (Polutropos is so good at drawing people into that pair!) 

💖

I'm so glad the clouds and waves come through for you — nature is so fractal: I was thinking/hearing water churning at the base of a waterfall with the spray evaporating in the sun, which is pretty similar on a smaller scale. Thanks for the lovely comment. (And yes, I hadn't even considered D and M as friends before Polu went and changed my view of them forever!)

I'm delighted this resonates with you, thank you! And so glad you appreciated the links too — I had such fun down fascinating rabbit holes, first with asemic writing and then the Tibetan music...

....and I feel sure that the elves would have something beautiful like this as an early form of musical notation. It would be an elegant secret message system as well.