Character of the Month: Celegorm, Part 2

Character of the Month - Celegorm by Dawn Felagund

The first part of Celegorm's biography introduced a character without a clear identity until Tolkien solidified his role in the betrayal of Finrod Felagund, which Christopher Tolkien termed the Nargothrond Element. This centerpiece of Celegorm's story was years in the making and established Celegorm's identity as we know it.

But Tolkien's work was done. The second part of Celegorm's biography considers how his character evolved once the Nargothrond Element was in place. Although Tolkien is not often lauded for creating complex characters, in Celegorm's character, we see numerous instances where he balanced Celegorm's role as a villain with the need to make him not-wholly-evil, his role ultimately serving the central theme of The Silmarillion. In addition to shaping new details about Celegorm's life, Tolkien also developed his relationships with other characters, showing that Celegorm—for all his flaws—was still someone who loved and was loved by others.

You can read Celegorm's biography here (and jump to Part 2 here).


Posted on 25 November 2023 (updated 24 January 2024) by SWG Moderators


Celegorm is truly a complex and fascinating character. I find myself feeling great sympathy for him, then feeling guilty for that. What fascinates me the most is his relationship with Huan, especially Huan's evident love for his former master, even when he has turned away. I find something very compelling about the bond between a person and his/her "pet" (although Huan was so much more), particularly this relationship which was put to the extreme test.