Tolkien Fanartics: Interview with Mirra Kan

Tolkien Fanartics: Interview with Mirra Kan

One of the effects of Tolkien's broad-reaching world-building is that the people on the margins of the map (and the texts) invite fanworks creators to tell their stories. In this month's Tolkien Fanartics article, our art editor Anérea had the opportunity to chat with Mirra Kan, whose work embodies the concept of moving characters and peoples from the margins of Tolkien's works to center them in her own.

Self-taught and a self-described orientalist, Mirra Kan focuses on the peoples of Middle-earth who live in the south and east. She seeks to show these characters—who are often depicted simply as enemies in the text—as real people from complex cultures. Among the Easterlings and Men of the South were "heroes fighting and dying for the sake of a better future for their children," Mirra reminds us, and her art represents their cultures and tells their stories.

You can read Anérea's interview with Mirra Kan here.


Posted on 6 January 2024 (updated 27 April 2024) by SWG Moderators


Absolutely fabulous artwork and very interesting interview, with perceptive questions and great answers.

I'm amazing at the lack of feedback for the Black Numenoreans artwork. It's stunning, powerful and very thought provoking.