Interpreting Memories by Anérea

| | |

Fanwork Notes

An "instadrawble" created for the Meet & Great Instadrabbling prompts "A Wrong Interpretation" and "Lost in Memory", with thanks to Himring for picking a prompt and suggesting Andreth.

Also thanks to Eilinel's Ghost for inspiration, as her scene in chapter 4 of Atanatárissë, where Andreth is looking at the book of lore filled with the memories of her people, sprang to mind from Himring's prompts, and how Finrod believes they have misinterpreted their memory of coming from the darkness.

Fanwork Information

Description:

Andreth contemplates the different interpretations of her people's lore, memories handed down by word of mouth through the generations.

Major Characters: Andreth

Major Relationships:

Genre: General

Type: Drawble/Finished Sketch

Challenges: Meet & Greet

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 15 March 2024 Updated on 15 March 2024

Interpreting Memory

Andreth looking at a book of lore

Chapter End Notes

Verrry quick sketch with aqua graphite tinted pencils, and too much water on plain paper (which turned into happy accident by providing some wrinkled texture!)



Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, your comment made me realise I didn't explain the matryoshka pathway, that was also just happy accident: "A wrong interpretation" first made me think of something funny, like Aegnor having gone to the trouble to pick her some rare beautiful flowers, which she receives with delight and, to his dismay, promptly tosses them into a large pot of bubbling liquid! (She's dying yarn, and when mixed with the herb she's already using, Aegnor's flowers give the dye a richer hue.)

On my way to ask the Internet to remind me which flowers I was thinking about, I stopped by the #instadrabbling channel, and I was promptly diverted by Dawn's "Lost in memory".

So, when I returned to my sketch, the pot turned into Balan's book of lore and her thoughts turned to his note that "Nóm protests that I’ve recalled it poorly and we are Children of the Sun, not of the Dark."

So maybe that's why it has mixed vibes.

(And I still can't remember the flower — when mixed with yarrow it makes it a deeper, more vibrant green.)

Thanks for you comment!