Calma, Lambe, Lambe, Óre by sallysavestheday

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Tengwar challenge, inspired by the graphics for the April 15th prompt (calma) and the John Singer Sargent painting, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose.

Maglor’s feeling a little superior, here. It’s quite unfounded, of course.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor prepares some Instructional Art for the Sindar to learn from at the Mereth Aderthad.

Major Characters: Daeron, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Tengwar

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 674
Posted on 15 April 2024 Updated on 21 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Heh. I love the idea of Maglor bringing light to the unwashed masses, only to have them think he’s so cute with his letters. Also I kinda want to hear the song, now. You painted that (Maxfield Parrish?) image very vividly. 👌🏽😁

Thank you! I wish I could render the song, lol. No doubt it's much more elaborate than it needs to be, but also Very Touching. Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose is a John Singer Sargent painting from 1885/86 that just lives in my mind, especially when it gets warm and paper lanterns start popping up. Glad the vision worked for you.

Bwahaha! Oh Maglor!

Funny thought that just occurred, I've often found that a sense of superiority actually stems from insecurity, and I just thought that, under all their confidence in their technological advancement, etc. might some of the Noldor not feel a bit intimidated by some aspects of the Sindar (although they wouldn't admit it, not even to themselves!)?

I love that painting too. I had a card of it when I was little and thought it was pretty, but not particularly special. Then one day in my early twenties I visited the Tate, and wandered into the gallery it's displayed in — it immediately caught my eye and I first thought that it was illuminated from behind. And then, for the first time ever, I fully understood what people were raving about. (We had none of the classics down here at the bottom of the world, and the mostly black and white reproductions in my school textbook, Gardner's Art Through The Ages, completely failed to inspire. The only originals I'd ever seen were more modern local works, and by comparison, I just didn't get why people got so excited about these dull paintings!)

But I digress, I really love what this prompt inspired and the way you evoke the mood of the painting in your descriptions.

DEFINITELY they are intimidated -- these people have stayed alive and thrived in an environment that scares the heck out of the Noldor, for all their warlike ways. But they'll never tell...

I'm glad the painting rang true for you. It's extraordinary in person, isn't it? It really does look as though it's lit from behind. Lanterns and flowers (and letters) for Maglor, tra la! <3