Lost and Found by awwyeah107

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Welcome to the angst-fest, complete with a serving of hurt/comfort. This fic was originally going to be 2 chapters, but I couldn’t help myself and had to write an alternate version of the second chapter, so it ended up being 3 instead :P

Warnings: Implied/referenced character death, child abuse (these first two warnings apply to Celegorm's servants leaving Eluréd and Elurín in the forest), mild suicidal ideation in chapter 1, very mild language/swearing in chapters 1 and 3.

Customary disclaimer: I do not own Tolkien’s works, including The Silmarillion, or any of the characters in his stories. Also, I do NOT give permission to ANYONE to feed this into ChatGPT or any other AI. Please treat my work with respect.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the aftermath of the second kinslaying, Maglor and Maedhros are faced with the disappearance of a pair of twins: Eluréd and Elurín.
Years later, another pair of twins—this time under the Fëanorians’ care—are missing: Elrond and Elros.
[3 chapters, posted over 3 consecutive days.]

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships: Maedhros & Maglor, Elrond & Elros & Maedhros & Maglor, Elrond & Elros & Maedhros, Elrond & Elros & Maglor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 9, 738
Posted on 20 April 2024 Updated on 22 April 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1, "Lost...", is focused on the aftermath of the Second Kinslaying.

There's more details below, but feel free to skip and move on to the chapter.


Language Choices + Character Nicknames
The use of “Fëanorian” (follower of Fëanor) versus “Fëanorion” (son of Fëanor) is intentional in this story, so you will see it shift throughout the chapters depending on which aspect I wanted to note.

Character nicknames:

  • Maedhros = Nelyo (short for Nelyafinwë, his father-name)
  • Maglor = Káno (short for Kanafinwë, his father-name)

Songs Used as Inspiration
There were several songs I used as inspiration for this fic, all of which are by composer Adrian Von Ziegler. You could consider the songs a soundtrack of sorts for the fic. Here is the full playlist on YouTube. At the start of each chapter, I will list the song(s) corresponding to that chapter, and at the end of the chapter, I’ll reveal which songs inspired which scenes. This is my first time doing anything like this, so I hope my explanation is clear!

The song for this chapter is, appropriately, titled “Lost” XD Here is the link to the song on YouTube.

In Chapter 2, "…and Found", Maglor discovers Elrond and Elros are missing; he and Maedhros search for the twins, but will history repeat itself?.

There's more details below, but feel free to skip and move on to the chapter.


This is my first time writing kidnap fam, and honestly, although I’ve enjoyed reading a lot of kidnap fam fic, I’ve felt a bit unsure of myself in writing them! It’s a massively complicated relationship on many levels, and when thinking about how I personally want to interpret it in my writing, I want to find a balance: yes, love grew between them, as Tolkien said, but I think it likely took time to grow and it was not an easy path. That seems to be the most realistic option to me.

So, at the time this chapter takes place, Elrond and Elros have been with Maglor and Maedhros for some time now. Trust has been established for the most part, and as you’ll see, there are indicators of that throughout. Also, the two Fëanorians quite clearly care about the twins; Maglor is generally more open about it than Maedhros.

Additionally, this chapter is partially inspired by this comic by cochart. I had seen the comic before, and then halfway through writing this fic, I remembered it existed and found it again.

Language Info/Translation + Character Nicknames

Quenya is written in italics. The word “fëa” is Quenya for "soul" (many people who have read The Silmarillion or other Tolkien works besides LOTR and The Hobbit know it, but some don’t, so I wanted to include that here.)

Character nicknames:

  • Maedhros = Nelyo (short for Nelyafinwë, his father-name)
  • Maglor = Káno (short for Kanafinwë, his father-name)

Songs Used as Inspiration

For this chapter:

All songs composed by Adrian Von Ziegler. Full playlist link here.

In Chapter 3, "…and Found", Maglor discovers Elrond and Elros are missing; he and Maedhros search for the twins, but will history repeat itself? - Alternate version of chapter 2!

There's more details below, but feel free to skip and move on to the chapter.


This alternate version of “…and Found” was born when I was working on the original draft. At the time, I had written a sentence about the trees swaying in the wind as Maedhros and Maglor walked out into the courtyard. It made me think about the way the wind picks up before a thunderstorm, blowing leaves everywhere, and then I thought: “Wait. What if there was a thunderstorm when they went to find the twins?” And then I thought: “And what if…there were orcs? Wouldn’t THAT be particularly angsty?” And I knew I had to write it.

However, I was over halfway done with the original draft, and I really wanted to keep it, so I decided to write an alternate version. This is set during the same time and the primary difference is the inclusion of those two elements—and, I’d say, how Maglor and Maedhros react ;)

Character Nicknames:

  • Maedhros = Nelyo (short for Nelyafinwë, his father-name)
  • Maglor = Káno (short for Kanafinwë, his father-name)

Songs Used as Inspiration

For this chapter:

All songs composed by Adrian Von Ziegler. Full playlist link here.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

awwyeah107 has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


I've really enjoyed reading this, and chapter 3 especially - so dramatic and emotional! 'We want Maedhros to carry us 'cause he's bigger and scarier than you,' aww - I loved how Maedhros was finally able to admit how much he loves the twins.

The kidnap family are amazing - so complicated, and someone always seems to be crying! But I love them so much and I'm always happy to read about them (and of course never forgetting Elurin and Elured). I hope you'll write more!

Awww, thank you so much!!! What a sweet, thoughtful comment ❤️

I loved that you noticed the line "We want Maedhros to carry us 'cause he's bigger and scarier than you"—that was one of my favorite parts of chapter 3! When I was writing that scene, that part flowed very naturally :) like 'oh yes, the twins will want to be carried, and by Maedhros, because they feel safe with him and he's more intimidating and scary to enemies than Maglor is, in their eyes'.

You're so right that kidnap fam is amazing and complicated and often has lots of crying involved 😂 I love them too! And aww, I'm so touched you'd like more! As I mentioned in one of my author's notes, I was unsure of writing them, but that really helps gives me confidence that it was enjoyable to read and I wrote them well :) I have a few ideas for more kidnap fam stories. However, I have a couple other WIPs that I want to finish before I start on something new (though you never know, lol). 

Again, thank you so much!