Guess Who's Coming to Dinner by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Story written using the SWG Random Silmfic Prompt Generator. Elements generated: romantic comedy, identity, unresolved sexual tension, Noldor, Finrod Felagund (I added Amarië). The humor is not heavy, but more subtle. Hopefully not too subtle.

Many thanks for the Beta-read to IgnobleBard and Klose.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It’s a Years of the Trees’ story of Finrod and Amarië as young lovers, long before the rebellion of the Noldor separates them.

Major Characters: Amarië, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Humor, Romance

Challenges: 10th Birthday Celebration

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 158
Posted on 26 July 2015 Updated on 26 July 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is just so entertaining and vividly drawn out. Your Amarië and Finrod just have such great chemistry together! He is so irrepressible, with a wicked sense of humour to boot; I can totally see why Amarië is both exasperated by him while also head over heels attracted to him. I really love all the details about the cultural differences, such as the Noldor's penchant for flashy jewelry and clothing vs Vanyarin modesty. (Also that idea of Indis enthusiasticaly embracing Noldorin ways rather than being just a stuff Vanya--yes!)

This is my favourite part, I think:

“Oh, my love! The things I will do to you. I will tease you until you beg me to take you. Then I will fuck you so long and hard.” She jerked her head back and clapped a hand over his offending mouth.

I could picture it all so clearly, and it had me in giggles. So perfectly outrageous!

You are great, Klose. So supportive and encouraging. Thank you are so much for crawling through the draft of this story and making corrections.

I am so happy that you enjoyed. I had a lot of fun working on this story. I love playing on the contradictions Amarië's contradictory responses to this guy who must have seemed overwhelmingly flashy to her in so many ways and yet fell for him, loves him, believes he has a good heart. I am so glad those kinds of things come through to you.

OMG. I love your choice above--example of how outrageous he seems to her--offends her sensibilities and is still irresistible. She's head-over-heels for him, but not blind.

That was really the perfect prompt for you! I added romantic comedy (and bromance!) to the Genre category imagining that they would generate fun stories to read, and that has already begun to bear fruit. :)

I really enjoyed this. (I really needed this ...) Your Finrod is just adorable (and hot!) I loved this line:

Arafinwë was generally well-liked, but known among the more traditionalist of the Vanyar for his obsession with the Teleri, for his pretty, flighty wife, and their gaggle of wild, unconventionally-schooled, overly cunning children.

This comes through so well in your writing of the Finwions.

Oh, thank you so much. I am thrilled that you singled out that part--I love how you unerringly cite back at me parts of stories that I wanted people to notice. Thank you. (I was initially inspired so much by your House of Arafinwe when creating so much about these characters. I have to send you and couple of other people that "sharing imaginary friends" birthday card.)

 

(I really needed this ...)

I would dance on a table playing a ukelele wearing a Feanorian battle flag if I thought I could make you smile for just a moment. I thought of you the moment I woke up this morning.

Thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment. I think that particular evening went as well as could be expected (not terribly well), but they did not order her not to see him. But there would not have been enough warmth for Finrod amongst her family to have weathered the scandals and strife generated by the Finweans in years to come. So, no they would not have been able to tolerate her leaving with him.

I suspect that I will revisit this relationship in the future and expand some of the story threads hinted at in this story.

Thanks so much for reading. This was my stab at the rom-com genre, and it felt surprisingly comfortable for me to write.

Who could resist this Finrod?  I can so see this as a movie, a la Hepburn and Tracy (love their banter and it so reminded me of those old films)!  I wonder if Finrod ever got invited to another dinner after he was re-embodied?  I always hope they got together then but...he had been through so much.  This Finrod though?  He's entirely capable of coming out of Mandos' Halls with his cockiness intact!  Love it, Oshun.  As always, you tackle whatever you set out to do, with panache. 

Another review! I love this so much. Thank you. I had so much fun writing this little piece. I like to think of Finrod as having been cocky and light-hearted before he was forced to decide to leave Valinor or stay. A few years ago, I was quite certain that I wanted to re-unite Finrod and Amarie after he left the Halls of Mandos. I still think it could be done, but it would not be a simple, straight-forward story.