Cousinly Bonding by Klose

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I like the idea of Gil-galad as Fingon's kid (and Fingolfin's grandkid), which would make him & Idril first cousins (an idea I also like very much!). 

I will readily admit I'm not too happy with the ending of this, but I am posting it anyway so I can get it in before the deadline for the 10th Birthday Contest! 8D Not beta-read due to time constraits--I apologise for any error(s).

The prompts I got from the generator were:

Form/genre: gapfiller

Quotes: 'Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.' –Voltaire

Fanwork Information

Summary:

While on a family holiday in Balar, Idril has a beachside chat with Gil-galad about their family. 

Major Characters: Gil-galad, Idril

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: 10th Birthday Celebration

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 441
Posted on 15 August 2015 Updated on 15 August 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a lovely story. I love the idea of Idril and Gil-galad as first cousins. I knew there were more reasons why I love Fingon as Gil-galad's daddy than that it was the first one I read and I had bonded with it before I saw any of the arguments about why it might have been a problematic choice.

The resemblance now to his father, who was always quick to mirth, is almost painful: the dimples, the keen blue-grey eyes, and the open expression, are all the same.

So beautiful! Awww, Fingon!

I died at the references to Fingolfin as grandfather--another good reason for choosing Fingon.

I always say that I love your Nolofinweans and this story is an excellent example of why!

Some really nice mental images there.

I'm a bit conflicted with Gil-galad. The version in my stories is house of Finarfin, but in some ways I really like the idea of him being Fingon's son. Ah well, it is a bit late to change now. One of my favorite Tolkien characters, no matter who his parents are.