A Light Exists in Spring by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The title comes from an Emily Dickinson poem of the same name. My thanks to LadyBrooke for the beta.

This was written for both B2MeM 2017 and the March LotR_Community challenges. The prompts are:

B2MeM:

  • The full moon
  • “I love the silent hour of night, For blissful dreams may then arise, Revealing to my charmed sight What may not bless my waking eyes. “ Anne Brontë
  • Tyranny
  • “That’s the advantage of insomnia. People who go to bed early always complain the night is too short, but for those of us who stay up all night, it can feel as long as a lifetime. You get a lot done.” Banana Yoshimoto
  • Tales and song by the fire

 

 

LotR_Community: Spring Fever hurt/comfort with the healing herb poppy

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

While living in Dorwinion, Maglor receives help in making a life-changing decision.

Major Characters: Maglor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2017

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 269
Posted on 24 March 2017 Updated on 24 March 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I was quite sure that I had already reviewed this one, but apparently not! I have enjoyed this particular canon of yours very much. Maglor taking a break from wandering and living with others! It's soothing for me to think that he did spend Age after Age insane and starving walking along the beach--seriously! Not even a crazy kinslayer is capable of that. What if every warrior throughout history was compelled to do that or be damned or do it and be considered damned? Therein is where I find most interpretations of Maglor's life too harsh. Anyway, whatever your intent, I enjoy this story verse a lot.

I'm glad you realized you hadn't! Maglor living with others (or at least wandering Not On The Shore) is something I love exploring; I cannot see him doing that until he fades away. It's much more interesting, in my opinion, to explore what he's like wandering from place to place (whether in self-imposed exile, because others really won't accept him long-term, or because Elves living with mortals is easily a recipe for disaster).

The adoption and long-term living situation here came with the idea when I realized how the prompts fit together; one of the first solid things was Maglor having a sister. But I'm not sure I'll ever do something *that* radical again.

Thank you so much!