Elwing's Balrog by Keiliss

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the 2015 Heroine Big Bang

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When 12 year old Elwing, the fey, half-elven grandchild of Beren and Lúthien, realises that she might age and die like a mortal, she goes to the person she trusts most for advice and incidentally discovers a new aspect of her heritage.

Both parties in this unlikely friendship = written with love.

Major Characters: Elwing, Gil-galad, Gildor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 416
Posted on 15 October 2017 Updated on 15 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I've read some of your Elwing stories before, but I do not recall reading this one. She is an odd one (was gonna say "odd bird" but that sounds like a terrible pun!). I think you have a very interesting take on her--the effects of her trauma and the resulting strangeness of it. I've also always thought Dior and Luthien were weird too. Probably why I haven't written much about either of them. But you tackle the strangness and do not hold back from wrestling with it and dealing with the difficulty in taking on the not quite human and less relatable aspects of it.

Of course, I love your Gil-galad! He faces her with courage and principles. It's the right thing to do even if it isn't always an easy way to spend one's time.

The references to her "court"--the advisors in denial and lacking much, if any, empathy--always give me the chills! I'm pretty sure they must mean well, but, oh, wow!

Fascinating story. So glad you decided to post it here.

Ooh, somehow I missed this. So sorry, Oshun!

I used to be meticulous about posting things in the right places but somehow that all came apart a few years back and every so often I come across something and realise it's only posted in one other obscure place... I do want all the Balar pieces on here, it's where they belong.

I have no interest in Dior, absolutely zilch, but when Elwing was talking about her family it did make me wonder all sorts of unanswerable questions about how two mortals produced a half-elf and all the rest of it. Still not curious enough to write about him. And Luthien - Luthien is the one Tolkien character I have absolutely nothing to add to. He made her the ultimate Superwoman (makes Wonder Woman look tame) and there she is, kick ass female, took on Sauron, took a silmaril from Morgoth -- the works (it's crystal clear to me that Beren was just the hot arm candy and occasional muscle)

There are other ways I could write Elwing, but for me this is who she is so I stay true to her. Not an easy little person, no - Gil has immense patience with her, but then that's Gil, patient where you'd least expect it. But she has her own logic and to be one of only two such people in the entire world - I can't begin to imagine how that would be, even without all her other issues. As for her courtiers, I'm pretty sure they ran for their lives when Maedhros came calling and never thought to try and protect her. I like to believe they didn't run fast enough!

Thanks very much for the kind words, it means a lot that you find these pieces interesting.