Forth to War by Dawn Felagund

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For Hrymfaxe, Beleg and Mablung decide to fight in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, told in seven double drabbles.

Major Characters: Beleg, Elu Thingol, Mablung

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 394
Posted on 12 December 2007 Updated on 12 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

For Hrymfaxe, whose friendship was a gift this past year brought.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh this ficlet series was so intense and rich to read. What I like the most in this series is the mentor-student relationship between Beleg & Mablung. Beleg is such an enigma himself and you portrayed that beautifully.

He is of the earth, built of clay and leaves by the hands of Eru, and he is wedded to the dirt beneath his boots and the wind in his hair and the rain that washes his face.

A true ranger at heart, what an elf! Yum!

Aside of one of the most beautiful and interesting portrayals of Mablung I've ever read, these drabbles offer a simply wonderful characterization of Beleg. Hats off to you, Dawn. You've nailed him. And I love the glimpse at Thingol too.

Thank you for sharing.

Gonna bet, Hrymfaxe loves the series :D

<i>Yes, I'm sort of back :)</i>

Dear Dawn

Thank you so much for this story. It is absolutely beautiful. I love discovering these two elves through Mablung's observations and thoughts. You have used my request very cleverly. :) In so relatively few words you have painted an image not only of these moments in time, but also hinted at the society and the life of soldiers and kings.

The relationship between Beleg and Mablung is great, there is the mentor/student element as Rhapsody said, but they are also friends who rely on each other. I love the glimpse of Thingol, Mablung's slow realisation that Thingol has bought something with his two captains, and Beleg's acceptance that they act as they must.   

Your thoughts about Beleg being one of the elves who awakened at Cuivienen and the consequences thereof were really interesting, and I love how you have described him.

Oh, and also Mablung's visit to his wife. He suddenly realises that he might not come home again, and life asserts itself in the sweetest way. His dream of the war is... *shudders*...

Ah I could go on - if I should mention all that I love about this, I would have to quote it all back to you. Thank you so much for this.