Encounters by Independence1776

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor encounters two people… and a pack of puppies.

Major Characters: Gandalf, Maglor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, General

Challenges: Caprice and Chance

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 113
Posted on 7 June 2019 Updated on 7 June 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Written for the May Matryoshka challenge, the easy set of prompts.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Rover is a great name, thank you very much! ;) I really like Salmë; she sounds wonderful. A former spy-master, and now second-in-command - and a potter (or painter)? Sign me up! Good advice from her, too.

I do hope Maglor will be able to patch things up with Mithrandir. Somehow I don't think the old wizard was as hostile towards Maglor as Maglor seemed to think...

Indeed! I'm kinda poking fun at myself with that, actually; Narya dared me to name him Rover and he will be. If I can find a variant that isn't "Randir."

I knew Salmë was a potter (and very firm on her nickname being Sal)-- this scene has been in my head nearly since I began the 'verse-- but the spy-master bit was a surprise.

Mithrandir was absolutely not as hostile as Maglor assumed, but it's difficult to show that from a limited POV. The next fic will have to be from a different perspective, I think.

I really enjoyed the meeting with the puppies and with Salme. They have personality, Salme, and also Maglor's new dog! I hope to see more of both.

I suspect Gandalf intentionally saved Maglor from an unpleasant scene, there, in the Hall of Fire. Maybe the two will understand each other better in time.

Concerning the name: Well, instead of Sindarin, you could go for Quenya! The Quenya equivalent of randír appears to be rána - wayward, wanderer - which also happens to be a by-name of the moon. So if you're inclined to pun, Maglor could name the dog Isil (or Ithil in Sindarin), Moon, with the connotation of erratic wandering. (Although I am now tempted to make Moon Moon jokes!) -- You could also tack -rain "erratic wandering" to a Sindarin word of your choice, such as "dog"?

I think the limitations of the perspective are fine - Maglor can't know everything, and he's doubtlessly unused to understanding people's motives after such a long time on his own - but of course I can't help speculating about the motivations of the other characters. ^^ Though a chapter from Elrond's, Gandalf's or Salmë's perspective would doubtlessly be cool!