The Coronation by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Allie asked for, "[How] Nerdanel got along after the Kinslaying. How did her interactions with the people of Tirion and Alqualonde? ... I'd particularly like to see her interact with Finarfin and Earwen when they return to Alqualonde from the march."

Earlier this year, I wrote the story "Statues" that discusses much of how Nerdanel coped with the loss of her husband and sons to exile. I also have an unfinished, unpublished novella about the Darkening from Eärwen's perspective. Since I didn't want to overlap these stories too much, then I had to fit Allie's request into the spaces between them.

"The Coronation" uses ideas from "Statues," though I don't think that one needs to have read "Statues" to understand this one.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For Allie, Nerdanel, Finarfin, and Eärwen on the day of Finarfin's coronation.

Major Characters: Eärwen, Finarfin, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 122
Posted on 23 December 2007 Updated on 23 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I suppose that one find what they seek in a story, no matter the intention of the author. If I have learned nothing from reading and writing Silmarillion fanfiction I have certainly learned that. There are so many different voices and interpretations of the same set of tales. I read your introduction and thought: Oh, a story about Nerdanel. I am always eager to read stories of the women of The Silmarillion, especially of the Noldor. Even though I haven’t written a lot of those yet myself, I think about them and I do intend to pursue them some day. But Nerdanel is one of them who seemed clear to me from the texts and who I could easily sympathize with and understand. However, when I began this story I was once again captured and intrigued by your interpretation of Arafinwë. You never cease to engage me when you write about him, because of all of the Finweans he was originally the one I least expected to feel sympathetic to and you completely turned him around for me. He and Nerdanel together are perfect in that last scene. Loved Earwen in this story too. Nerdanel is not the only one who should be called “the wise” as you write these women. (Actually, just throwing in my two cents worth, I have never been sure where Tolkien got the idea of "the wise" for Nerdanel (sounds like man thinking to me--if she was so wise how in the world did she end up with Feanor, maybe "the passionate" or "reckless"?

Lovely! This piece is very well written. Your Arafinwe is so considerate and different from his brothers. I wonder what might have happened if he had been the middle son... who knows? Nerdanel, in here, is very different from her husband, yet not so that she didn't love him. Her wisdom is shown here perfectly. Just a reason to call her, 'Nerdanel the wise.'

Thanks for writing!

I MUST stop reading your stories. I am crying AGAIN onto my keyboard. This is beautiful.

 

I am ashamed to say that I never knew what a wonderful character Finarfin was until I read your work.

 

I also love elegant comparison you drew between Finarfin and Orodreth. 

Thank you, Becca! I'm glad you liked the story, and if I'm giving you a new appreciation for Finarfin, then my mission has been accomplished. *rubs hands together devilishly* ;) In all seriousness, I find him a fascinating character (obviously) who has been largely mistreated in fanon. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work about him. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read and to write a comment!

This is so beautiful. I've always thought Finarfin was overlooked and deserved more appreciation, and this story does such a good job of painting his grief! I felt it even more acutely than I felt Nerdanel's, which is saying something, because she's the one I love and empathize with most. Or maybe that's because I simply can't imagine the depth of her tragedy. I don't know, but this was just really beautiful. Love your work! Also, at the risk of sounding completely obnoxious, is that Fëanor/Nerdanel AMC prequel still in the works? Or will it be someday? Do I have hope? Please excuse me, the drama queen in me tends to get the better of me sometimes.