A Long Time Falling by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

Using some Quenya names (Maitimo=Maedhros, Macalaure=Maglor, Findekano=Fingon, Turukano=Turgon, Tyelkormo=Celegorm, Curufinwe=Curufin, Carnistir=Caranthir, Ambarussa=Amrod+Amras, Moringotto=Morgoth, Findarato=Finrod Felagund,  Arafinwe=Finarfin). However naming conventions are not quite up to the most exacting standards....

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros and Maglor decide to surrender to Eonwe to be put on trial back in Valinor. And then, at the last moment, they don't. Framing Maglor's memories of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and the attacks on Doriath and the Havens of Sirion (or rather, mostly, the discussions among the brothers that led up to those attacks).

Maedhros/Fingon slash (very mild here). Definitely not Maedhros/Maglor slash; however, the subject is raised and the (false) accusation made by others in the story, so if this worries you, please regard yourself as warned.

Also, Maedhros's suicide isn't explicitly told, but strongly hinted at, so has been marked.

This story has been nominated for the MEFAs 2010 by Lyra. Thank you very much!

Major Characters: Caranthir, Celegorm, Fingon, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Suicide, Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 9, 115
Posted on 27 February 2010 Updated on 27 February 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I created an account here primarily to review this remarkable piece. After discovering and reading it a couple weeks ago, I've come back and reread it several times since, and I keep trying to leave a review, but proper words do not come. I'm usually too busy trying not to cry.

I suppose that's a good place to start, though - the ending, especially that very, very last part just...  aaaugh. Every. Time.  Understand that - aside from when I'm extremely angry and/or frustrated (whereupon I always burst into tears, which is annoying) - I can count on one hand the number of things of the written word, movies and songs together that have ever brought me to tears. It takes something very special to do that - and to do it multiple times, no less!  And every time I read this piece, if nothing else, my eyes have not remained dry reading the last two sections of the last chapter.

That's another thing - every time I reread this, I discover something new - some detail I missed in previous rereadings, and every detail adds to this horrible tragedy, which you have so wonderfully captured. Maedhros' descent into madness is awful to behold, and I ache for him terribly - it's almost a relief, in a way, when he dies, because you know that maybe - as Maglor suggests - he is finally home. He can stop hurting for everyone who's died - and maybe he can be with their family and with Fingon, once more. Maybe he can finally have peace.

And Maglor, too, just hurts to think of... you can feel his heart-wrenching sorrow over what happened all the way through, and the way you write his relationship with Maedhros... This is really a story about Maedhros, and yet you can glean so much of the story of Maglor through the way he talks about things - what he chooses to tell and how he tells it.

I really like the way in which this is told, too - in fragments that aren't necessarily in chronological order. It's not the easiest read, but I think it's more effective this way and seems more... how Maglor might recall things, I think - how he might string together scenes by association more than by the chronology. And that's part of what makes rereading it over and over so worthwhile - each time, I get a better sense of the whole. And I could go through and pick out all the little details I really like and say why, except that then this review would go on forever, I think.

It's just... this story has moved me in many ways, I adore the way everything within it is depicted, and I'm not sure I've done it justice in my review, but I thought - instead of silently rereading it again - maybe I ought to try to put what it spoke to me into words.

Thank you for writing and for posting this work of art.

I am deeply honoured to have written something that meant so much to you. Thank you very much for engaging with the story on so many levels. I appreciate especially what you tell me about Maglor in this story. I've actually attempted to write about Maedhros being able to be with Fingon once more (at the end of Watching the Star and now also in Down. Out. Up.), but I'm not sure I wasn't simply trying to console myself...

Himring- I have said you are the master. There is such tragedy in Maedhros' story and you show him unravelling through Maglor's loving eyes- the pathos, the tenderness and love underlines that terrible oath, the dreadful loss that they all endured but perhaps these two more than anyone in the whole of Tolkien's world. You write it so beautifully- every moment. The gradual reduction of images, of feeling, of narrative so it becomes merely dispogue as if that is all they can cope with- no longer even thinking, just planning to fulfil that damned oath. And the snippets of insight into Fingon and Maedhros- emphaisisng how little time they had together. I cant tell you how deeply this makes me feel, how terribly sad it has made me...

and the final scene just underlines it all beautifully. You konw you made me cry but the sense of tragic loss and waste goes so much deeper.