Essecarmë by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

"Essecarmë" is part of the same series of stories as my novel Another Man's Cage, though it is set several years after. However, I believe that it can be read without knowledge of the novel.

I wrote this story for French Pony who, besides being one of my good friends in the Tolkien fandom, has challenged me as an author and a researcher of Tolkien's works and has helped me more than almost any other to improve my Silmarillion-based stories. "Essecarmë" originated as part of a conversation we had when I posted the first draft of AMC on LiveJournal about the possible implications of the father-names of Fëanor's sons.

The Box of Tissues

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Curufin, the fifth son of Fëanor, is said to have been his favorite. Why did Maedhros get passed over for this honor? This story looks at Eldarin naming traditions and the family dramas they create. 2008 MEFA nominee.

Major Characters: Curufin, Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 852
Posted on 8 May 2008 Updated on 8 May 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Aw, poor Nelyo. This is the kind of story that really kills you to read, because you know exactly what’s going to happen and there’s nothing you can do about it. But you wrote it wonderfully: the characterizations were just right, and it all felt very true to Tolkien (something I can never manage). The thing about Tolkien fics is that he gives us names and facts and a few details – like Curufin’s place as the favorite – but it’s really up to us to tie everything together, fill in the gaps, and bring the characters to life. And that seems to be something that you’ve mastered quite nicely.

I liked your comment on the name "Nelyafinwë" – "proof that Atar can count and little else" – because it’s true, it’s an awful name to have. I mean, imagine if we all just got numbered off like that. ("Hello, my name is Third." "Oh, nice to meet you, I’m Fifth.")

And I liked Finwë’s quote, "Start in the dirt, then grow to the stars" - it was very nice, and also felt very, well... very Finwë.

Thank you so much! This review is full of all kinds of compliments of the blush-worthy variety; you are very kind. :)

I like connecting the dots; it\'s what drives me to Silmfic and no other fanfic (not even LotR except by request of friends that I love lots :^P). I mean, these guys lived for thousands of years; think of all the meaning that must have existed behind so many small things! It\'s fun for me to take a scattering of facts and try to make sense of them within the larger context. And I always have to laugh to be told that I\'m true to Tolkien, self-proclaimed heretic that I am. I think that if anyone\'s stories make him roll in his grave, mine probably do. But that\'s his fault for writing them from a historical perspective and giving me lots of wiggle room. ;)

Thanks again so much for the kind reviews of late; you have really made my day! :)

Before reading this story for the first time (almost two years ago now, wow!) I had never thought  what could lie behind the Feanorian names. And then it became so clear: of course, fifth son receives same name as his father! What happens with the first born at that moment? And with the others? What had happened? A whole range of possibilities opening up!  

I think that having Maglor tell the story is a great idea because it shifts the point of view but keeps it close to Nelyo's perspective. Besides, I've always found your teenMaglor delightful, with a mix of awkwardness and shrewd observation.

"And so", reads Grandfther Finwe, "we became truly immortal, indestructible, and when we chanced to meet the servants of the Dark Lord, we did so linked through history and blood..." 

I love Finwe's words, they would deserve to be canonical.

Also the family interaction: the bored boys, poor suffering Nerdanel and the uncles (great Arafinwe).

"a single dismond-bright teardrop slips down Nelyo's face and betrays the inadequate heart that lies within his perfect body"

Why did you choose the word inadequate for poor Nelyo at that moment? Crying seems to me the only possible reaction. Or turning round a leaving without saying a word. Or maybe shouting and cursing? No, not dignified for Noldorin royalty.

Have you considered any kind of follow-up to the story? A post ceremony confrontation? Time for shouts and curses, maybe? Or just acceptance.

Needless to say, I've always loved this story.

Thank you, Angelica! Not to toot my own horn (as we say here in the US), but this has always been one of my favorites of my stories as well, odd since it was written in haste for one of my holiday gift-writing sprees and so wasn\'t really thought out or even given much revision.

I love writing from Maglor\'s PoV, which is odd because he was a muse that, for the longest time, I swore I did not have. I could not write stories from his perspective. Then, one day, while working on AMC, I realized that the \"character studies\" I was writing were well on their way to becoming a novel, and the lack of Maglor\'s PoV was a major hole in the story. So I forced myself to try ... and Maglor now happily resides with the rest of my muses and has become one of my favorites!

Inadequate ... I chose this because it conveys the two ideas of this story in this single word. First is Nelyo\'s perceived inadequacy in Feanor\'s eyes, which Feanor\'s pronouncement of the name \"Curufinwe\" does confirm; he has an \"inadequate heart\" because--despite his outward perfection--he is not a suitable heir for his father either in skills or comport. He does not possess the \"curu\" that Curufin will, and he doesn\'t even possess enough pride (in Feanor\'s estimation) to know shame at being appointed as a mere scribe when he is capable of so much more.

The second reason is that Nelyo is earning a name for himself as an extraordinary diplomat, and that single tear betrays his control and proves that he is also inadequate in this regard (in his own eyes, at least). And so, in that moment, he has been named a failure by his father, and his reaction demonstrates a failure of what he likes most about himself. It is a low moment for Nelyo. :) *hugs Nelyo* But we know, of course, that both of these \"failures\" will be what helps to bring his people together in Beleriand someday.

As for follow-up, I will one day write a sequel to AMC, and this scene will be part of it, only written from Nelyo\'s PoV. I actually chose Maglor\'s PoV at first for this very reason: I wanted the scene to be \"available\" for the AMC sequel from Nelyo\'s PoV. When I finally get to writing this, then the aftermath of this Essecarme will be discussed. (I\'m not quite sure what it will be yet; I suppose I\'ll know when I get there! ;)

I read this then I read it again. I really love Maitimo. Whether his father realised it or not (which I suspect he didn't) he is a true leader. I suppose that comes with being the eldest of seven brothers. You ask the eldest of any family and they will tell you they helped raise the whole family.

I think you portrayed the blow that must have come to, Maitimo when his fifth brother was named. I hate Feanor for that, though it was the truth. But would you really want to be like Feanor? So maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

I'm rambling... Anyway, I really love this story. Maglor was excellent and it gave that preemptive feeling to their relationship which is solidified later in the Silmarillion. I also liked how you portrayed the other brothers as awkward and out of place. I feel sorry for Caranthir and Tyelkormo (whom I love best). They had the misfortune of neither being third in line or like their father. At least Nelyo had something going for him. Of course I came to the conclusion ages ago that Tyelkormo alighed himself with Curufinwe because he was the power behind the throne so to speak. Basically, this story really made me think and delve deeper into the family dynamic and for that I thank you :) It's not often a story about the sons evokes such a reaction from me. I really enjoyed it! Great writing. :)

 

.

I have raved about this story other places, but need to say here that it is one of my all time very, very favorite Maedhros stories by anyone, anywhere. Gives a very good look at Maglor and Freanor also. I just had to go on record here when I saw I had not reviewed in this very public spot.