Pursuing with weary feet, the road called life. by Urloth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The challenge fic that ate my nano. “Anthropomorphised Silmarillion” challenged one of my writing circle buddies on fanfic-friday. “No mary-sue-butterflies-and-unicorns shyte. I want to read something dealing with the realities of being a whopping great shiny stone turned into a living being. I want it to know what it was, and what happened to it from its creation whether from some weird sentiment stone experience or what people have told it/it has heard. Body horror would be appreciated.”

As of 2013: reedited/written. Block paragraphs and no a lot of full stops as it was. Eek. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

EDITED.  Maedhros' suicide takes the Silmaril he bears deep into the embrace of the earth. For the eldar concerned this was the end of the sorry saga. For the silmaril in question it was not

Major Characters: Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama, Experimental, Horror

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 10, 741
Posted on 26 November 2011 Updated on 15 March 2013

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

This was a large chapter originally, 7000, but the 2000 words from the Silmaril's POV was jarring so I broke it up. Next chapter is back to normal size.

this is the second half of the former second chapter. Now split properly. Now I can finally work on the next chapter without squirming about how badly the former chapters were XD


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is by far the most creative and yet most powerful of the stories I have yet read here so far. It was at points somewhat perhaps overly-personified in its tone and texture, being subtle and yet blatent at points in animalistic description. Yet I myself can picture no other way it could have been formed in and I firmly suggest that you put this up for some contest or compatition amung the tolkien comunity. I help run a podcast called the Inklings so that I'm often writing like-tales in various modes. But no word of mine or of any other worker of literature of EA I believe could have wraught the exact and uneque stylestic form you have shown. there are tales like to it and styles like to it. yet is your own and rich with power. I hereby hope that you continue to post like works and that by your work, as here, you may shed light upon the unexplored reaches of Arda. For what wonder here you have braught into being I thank you in all humlity and gladness and will continue to support your stories. Eru is with you.

It was interesting to read about Maedhros's suicide from the POV of the Silmaril. I've read a couple of stories in which the Silmarils were sentient, but in those they were either indifferent to the Sons of Feanor or even malevolent. The idea that the Silmaril failed to recognize Maedhros at first and then regretted burning him is appealing.

The ending is intriguing and I'd be interested to see how this new being develops but I confess to being the owner of a queasy stomach...

There are stories of the Silmarilli being sentinent? I would love to read those! Would you point me in their direction please?

I think, for (lifeless) stones, that they would naturally be more sympathetic to others "created" by their creator and it is the hallowing that causes them to burn the Feanorions. 

 

Your poor stomach? You did not read then? I'm not a very good gauge at what it queasy inducing. I mysel when I wrote the second chapter just we "...ew that's a bit nasty" then thought others might get squimish. At the same tiem I was kind of proud for coming up with the scene (don't ask me why, I'm asking myself that now) hense the vague warning so I didn't "spoil" it. My apologies :C 

As a warning the next chapter will likely be dealing with burns and their aftercare in a tiny bit of depth.