Five Times Caranthir Fought With His Brothers (And One Time He Didn't) by grey_gazania

| | |

III


 

The day before they are to meet Fingolfin and his people, Maglor grabs him by the elbow and pulls him behind the forge.  "I am going to have my hands full tomorrow," he says, voice low, "so you are going to behave yourself.  No insults and no picking fights; you can be civil with our cousins for one day."

 

"If I agree to be a good boy while you play lickspittle, will you let go of me?" Caranthir glares pointedly at the fingers digging into his arm – it surprises people, sometimes, how strong Maglor's hands are, and if he has to prise his brother's fingers open it will be unpleasant for them both.

 

Maglor does let go, but hisses, "Play lickspittle?  Did you listen to nothing Nelyo said to us?"

 

"Of course I listened, you claybrained imbecile! You haven't heard me argue."  He struggles to keep his voice down.  "Not that anyone can hear much of anything over Tyelko's shouting, but if you'd pulled your head out of the clouds for an hour you'd have still noticed!"

 

"I've been organizing this entire damned ceremony, Moryo! Nelyo is not exactly able to do it all himself.  We owe Nolofinwë; we will do this properly."

 

Caranthir snorts. "We owe Nolofinwë nothing.  We didn't force them over Helcaraxë, and if they'd had any sense they'd have gone back to Tirion.  The only person we owe anything to is Findekáno.  And I know Nelyo needs your help," he says, dropping his voice further.  "He may have our brothers cozened, but he's not half as recovered as he tries to seem.  As it stands, he isn't capable of ruling."

 

Maglor tips his head and studies his brother with a prickling stare.  "So you do understand that.  What, then, is the problem?"

 

"It's not right," Caranthir explodes.  "We're betraying Atar; he'd be ashamed if he could see this!"

 

"Atar is dead."  The word drops like a hammer from Maglor's lips, and it's all Caranthir can do to keep from hitting him.  "Worry less about what he would think and more about how the rest of us will win this war.  And behave tomorrow."  He stalks off, and it's only after thirty-six breaths and a slam against the forge wall that Caranthir follows.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment