Captain Tinkerbell by Lipstick

| | |

Fanwork Notes

First posted: April 1, 2003

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor is in the British trenches in WW1, and he gets to meet a certain young officer with a liking for ancient mythology.

Major Characters: J.R.R. Tolkien, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 219
Posted on 13 May 2012 Updated on 13 May 2012

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


A very well thought out piece of work, the historical aspect I am sure would have pleased the Professor greatly.  For myself it is the world weary narrative and lack of song in the once great singer's voice that strikes home...

I imagine for that 'Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile...' would be a difficult song for Maglor to sing; or perhaps not in a moment of resignation and/or communion...

Nicely Done!

CiH.

 

 

Thank you, and again sorry for the delayed response. I know Tolkien didn't care for allegory and I think I share his belief that it can often be crass, but I do think being a young man in the trenches certainly put its stamp on the history of the Feanorians. (Perhaps a less informed 'Mythic' reading of their history would have celebrated their tennacity in holding to the family vow, after the Somme, such determination can only make them tragic.)

 

I love this story. The genre of Maglor in history is a very hard one to nail and you do it here. Out of the hundreds written there are only a few that I can really lose myself in. This is definitely at the top of list. Maglor has such a strong voice. The fondness and protectiveness he feels for Lieutenant Beowulf is incredibly moving. For me, it has to be redemptive. No good deed goes unpunished in life either. Not even the hardest-hearted of the Valar could read this an not turn their gaze back on Maglor and want to gather him back into their world.

So thrilled that he told Lieutenant Beowulf those glorious heartwrenching stories.

Thank you, I am sorry it took me so long to reply but until today I wasn't aware this story was archived here. I remember writing this just as the second Iraq war was beginning, and I think the events of the time seep through. I also think Tolkien doesn't get recognised enough as a First World War writer, even though his own quote: "...to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hideous an experience than to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead," is still one of the most sparse and chilling testiments to the time.

I liked this story a lot, and I would have even if I weren't such a sucker for elves-in-modern-times stories. The characterization of Maglor was brilliant- cynic, brooding and almost snarky, yet ready to warm up to "Beowulf". I remember reading some stories with a similar premise, but this manages to have a unique flavor to it. The writing itself made it very realistic, and there were some really nice turns of phrase. Very well executed.

Thank you! I am sorry it took me so long to reply but until today I wasn't aware this story was archived here. This was written back in the day in response to a 'Maglor in history challenge' Silm fics mailing list challenge,  which was enormous fun, and sparked some great stories which I hope have all found safe homes now HASA is due to close. 2003 was an incredibly creative year in Silmarillion fanfiction and I still get nostalgic for it. I'm glad you enjoyed.