Spark by GoldSeven

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When there is no Sun, no Moon, no stars to mark the passing of time, what happens to time? Does it stand still, congeal like blood? Does it cease to exist? Maedhros upon Thangorodrim, his rescue by Fingon, and his recovery. Rated for disturbing themes.

Major Characters: Aredhel, Fingolfin, Fingon, Maedhros, Maglor, Melkor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Torture

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 9, 325
Posted on 7 August 2012 Updated on 7 August 2012

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Maedhros upon Thangorodrim.

Fingon finds Maedhros, and frees him, which Maedhros does not immediately appreciate.

Maedhros slowly recovers, and finds out some of the things that happened in his absence.

Maedhros finds out what has been successfully kept from him until now, and Fingon is being his loyal and honest self.

Maedhros struggles with the loss of his hand, and Maglor struggles to find a basis for conversation.

Maedhros and Fingolfin talk about war, division, death, and burdens.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Welcome! Thrilled to see you here! I am so happy to read your story. I am primarily a Fingon and Maedhros writer myself. I admire your art so much and love the idea of being able to read the thoughts behind it. (Love your Silmarillion work, but also the Harry Potter and ASOIAF pictures!)

This is the story that I have never had the courage to write, more or less, with a couple of short exceptions relating to Maedhros' captivity, writing the before and after up to this point.

The sight of him brought more fleeting but powerful images flickering across Maedhros’ consciousness, of Fingon standing beneath Mindon Eldaliéva, motionless, the day they had parted. Maedhros saw them but didn’t understand them, could not remember why they had parted, why he had been so angry or Fingon so sad.

I love this conception: Maedhros angry, Fingon sad. But in his current situation, Maedhros is completely unable to comprehend what it had all been about!

Whatever Morgoth did to him, it broke him.

This single sentence suddenly filled him with a burning desire to prove he was alive, and unbroken.

One of the things about Maedhros that has always struck me the incredible accomplishments of the alliance against Morgoth, with all of the history and difficulty of the fault lines within the Noldor. I give credit in my own interpretation to the determination, heart, and strength of mainly Maedhros and Fingon, (and Fingolfin too, and some of the others, of course--might as well admit it, I am a huge fan of the Noldor and their story).

Off to read more!

“It’s Maglor. So there probably won’t be blood. Not that he’d deserve it any less.” Turgon’s voice was dark with resentment. “Atar allowed him to pass. Mainly because he had the decency to request, not to demand.”

Spot-on characterization of Turgon here that rings so true for me. Also, the asking feels like Maglor and the acquiescence on the part of Fingolfin in light of that.

Very much like this exchange between Maglor and Fingon also:

“Tell me,” he said, and it was plain to see how much the question cost him. “How did you know?”

Fingon cast him a blank look. “What did I know?” He walked around the bed to Maedhros’ right side, and Maedhros heard him set down the carafe on the small bedside table.

“That he had no part in burning the ships. That he was going to come back for you.”

This is another lovely chapter. Really like the understatement of strong emotion and gentle humor. The idiosyncrasies of the brothers and their unique relationships one to another are shown in very few words.

Particularly was moved by this section:

“Don’t do that,” he said softly. “Snap at me if it makes you feel better.”

“Maybe later,” Maedhros replied, his voice slightly hoarse.

Maglor smiled faintly. “I’ll look forward to that.”

This is brilliant- and I can see all so clearly -each image is not only given by your words but also by the fabulous illustrations you do (I think I am right, I hope, in assuming that you are THE GoldSeven who also illustrates the silm, and whose pics I have admired and loved for years. If you arent thne I admire and will love your writing for years instead.) Thank you for this great story.