Assignation by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story used the Taboo challenge prompts violate Laws and Customs among the Eldar, etiquette, religious taboos, and sexual deviance. The prompts form the corners of a rectangle at the extremes of the second and fourth rows.

There are incestuous pairings galor in this story and some mild blood play. You have been forewarned.

This story is pure skank. It probably actually is making Tolkien turn in his grave.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When Turgon discovers a forbidden affair between his sister Aredhel and cousin Curufin, he has all intentions of telling his father. But Aredhel and his cousins devise a way to keep safe the secrecy of an affair that will span ages. Aredhel/Curufin/Celegorm

Major Characters: Aredhel, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Erotica

Challenges: Taboo

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Incest, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 189
Posted on 10 February 2017 Updated on 10 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I had a pretty crazy week. I ended up getting it written up to the start of the debauchery on Thursday, came home Friday and jumped right back into it, stopped and went out for Thai with friends, ended up staying out later than intended, and came back and rushed to finish it. Bobby and I were supposed to watch a movie after I was finished, but I fell asleep shortly into it.

But I finished it on time! I wanted to set a good example for the first one at least. I don't know how well I'll do in the future; it's a steep task to plan these things AND write for them on a deadline!

 

Fëanáro wandered here and there and spent most of his time in Formenos, stirring up the radicals there against the Valar. We did not then know it, but we were witnessing the first fractures of their coming estrangement.

OMG! This is perfect! The entire beginning is perfect. You really engage me and draw me into the whole setup and make me want to read more.

Findekáno's hand-me-downs: tunics and breeches, threadbare and stained, and even his old riding boots scuffed at the toes. Her heavy black hair she tied back in a single braid or with a strip of rawhide. She was easily mistaken for a boy; indeed, Findekáno--who had taken a later-in-life liking for dress robes, elaborate hairstyles, and court life--was by far the prettier of the two.

I want the artwork for this—kind of romantic/realistic in style. Wow! Great visual in my head without it even.

Poor Turgon. I put him in this role of not being quite wicked enough to keep up with the rest of them. But I find I am reading wanting clarification. I like things to be explicit. And not to wonder.

So when he compromises himself by hiding in the library and watching them, he is taking a very big chance on exposure, as though he wants to be found out. But then he sneaks out without being caught, or so he thinks, and leaves the book—evidence of his presence on the floor. I want to think that he is kidding himself to believe that they did not discover him while he was still there. Meanwhile, he carries it to an extreme by planning on snitching on his sister or at very least confronting her. But I am wondering as a reader if he ever really has any intent of doing that.

How crazy is this guy? And his outfitting himself for his assignation.

At last, I settled on a dark blue tunic trimmed in silver thread--a not unsubtle allusion to my father's house--and black trousers more close-fitting (in truth, slightly too small since I'd gained a little extra weight in the last year) than was usually comfortable for me and knee-high riding boots that felt ridiculous but always looked dashing on everyone else.

Sounds like Laura getting ready for a date. So what does he really expect is going to happen?

Love so much of the description—as I always do with your writing--but this next part is amazing. Really unforgettable.

If Carnistir imparted a mysterious eroticism and Curufinwë appeared every inch Eldarin perfection, then Tyelkormo still overshadowed them both. He was the next tallest son after Maitimo but broad in the shoulders also where Maitimo and Fëanáro were whip-thin. He was as grand as Tulkas and smelled of wind and trees like Oromë. His golden hair had been hastily restored to its braids after his bath, giving him a wild and slightly careless look. He was barefoot, his tunic unlaced. His eyes were brilliant blue, and when they met mine, I felt myself look quickly away. "Turukáno," he said in a deep, musical voice, raising a glass of whiskey that Carnistir had poured for him, "welcome to our table. We are glad you have come."

Then again with Celegorm, described as “the godlike son, Laurelin-bright.” He is incredible yummy seen through the eyes of Turgon, isn’t he?

Back again to trying to figure out who knows and/or wants what and when. So they asked him for dinner. for no other reason, I presume, than to bring him into their wicked little circle? Or tease or punish him for discovering them? Or did they always know he was in the library and put on a little tableau to entrap him more or less? Too many questions! Am I over-thinking this? It is beautifully written, but I am having trouble following it or overthinking. Or maybe I am not supposed to be able to figure everything out precisely? Usually, I can figure things out that are not made explicit.

So when they all settle down for the dinner party, he lets them get him drunk? I’m having trouble sorting out what he really wants. Does he know what he wants? And then he’s watching and they are putting on a show, but apparently they would do something pretty similar even if he were not there, if one can believe Carnistir. I am not naturally led to draw a conclusion about whether he’s an integral part of their entertainment—or just random extra spice? I definitely entirely missed the point of the blood play. Now, what’s up with that? And why would Carnistir assume that Turgon would be interested? And is he? Or not? Apparently he is, or he could storm out.

And am I supposed to know what the book was about? Or just wonder or did I miss something?

This is quite a scandalous story. My favorite line is probably: He lied. "To none was her heart's love given." He lied, he lied.

Turgon definitely doesn't know what he wants. He's not even, at his arrival, certain that he is interested in sex.

Caranthir (my go-to slut and mindreader!) is really trying to figure that out. As for the Feanorians' motives? And Aredhel's? I envisioned that they found the book in the library and knew from the topic who had been there and from the uncharacteristic manner in which it was left on the floor that he had probably seen what Aredhel and Curufin were up to. (Although I also hint that Aredhel, at least, knew all along, with her deliberate posing.) At this point, they know he is thinking of snitching. There is a reason they don't usually include him socially. So their motives (in my mind) are twofold: First to bring everything VERY MUCH out into the open, eliminating that he will confront Aredhel and, two and most importantly, to involve him deeply enough that he now CAN'T confront her (he's also guilty) and can't snitch on them without also revealing himself.

This was what was going through my head, but I think it could be read other ways, and I left it open on purpose.

They would definitely be up to the same games even without him there. At the beginning of the story, Turgon watches the carriages go toward their house, expecting "debauchery" on the basis of rumors he's heard. He knows that bachelor trio gets up to some strange stuff but never expects Aredhel to be involved.

The book was whatever probably insanely boring title Turgon was reading and left on the floor in the library. I don't know the title, but that it likely belonged to him would have been obvious based on the topic: early Eldarin figures of speech and idiom. He's quite proud to be the only one in his family of scholars interested in such a topic. :)

Caranthir isn't interested in it, of course, but reads it to signal to Turgon that they know that he knows. He's reading it when Turgon comes in. Turgon misses it then, but when he's unwilling to become involved as more than a spectator, Caranthir takes the opportunity to make very clear to him exactly why he's been invited.

This is quite a scandalous story.

It's very out-of-character for me as an author--almost taboo!--but that seemed fitting and kind of the point. :D Thanks for reading and commenting.

Sorry to make you spell it out!! But thank you very much!

I forgot--how could I--that Caranthir had that advantage--since I have totally ripped it off and used it in my own stories!

At this point, they know he is thinking of snitching. There is a reason they don't usually include him socially. So their motives (in my mind) are twofold: First to bring everything VERY MUCH out into the open, eliminating that he will confront Aredhel and, two and most importantly, to involve him deeply enough that he now CAN'T confront her (he's also guilty) and can't snitch on them without also revealing himself.


Priceless! All skanky stories should be so complex!

Thanks for straying outside your comfort zone to read my story, Kaylee! :) It's not something I usually write either, but if any challenge demanded what I called a "skanky fanfic" (it is still called that in my files too ...) then this was it. I wanted to make it something of a psychological thriller with skank. Of course skank. ;)

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

This is a bit outside my comfort zone, so it took me a while to tackle it...

It is very effectively written.

One wonders whether Turgon would have dealt with the situation better, if Fingon had given him the talk, as he threatened to do, rather than leaving it to his father. Perhaps not--the relationship between the brothers seems not close enough, somehow.

It's certainly an overwhelming scene (or scenes) in any case, but one that he blunders into somewhat blindly, constrained by rules he does not seem to realize don't exactly apply.

There is much irony in his research into Eldarin history--what he finds out doesn't in fact confirm all that well what he is seeking to confirm, which he ignores--and yet he seems to need that scriptural confirmation rather than proceeding on any direct emotional response. His concern for his sister is probably real, at some level, despite his previous neglect, but it's coming out all twisted.

Turgon's determined withdrawal into obscurity and from usefulness seems intended to parallel his later withdrawal to Gondolin (although that comparison has its limits, Gondolin is also in some way a rather backward-turned society). It seems quite sad, really here, in his youth--there seems to be an underlying feeling of inadequacy that he is trying to disguise, but that catches up with him.

 

Thank you for tackling the story despite its subject matter! As always, I appreciate your insights. (Reviews from you are always such a treat because you either see things that I put in there and hoped someone might notice or pick up on things I never even considered. :)

My own feelings re: Fingon ... I don't think it would have made a difference. I think Turgon is not in touch with that side of himself yet. (Ai ... that's awkward wording!) I think this is because of what you observe here:

he seems to need that scriptural confirmation rather than proceeding on any direct emotional response

He's not sure how to handle the emotional (or physical) response. I agree that he turns to scripture to look for a set of rules he can invoke, even if inconsistently (rather parallel to how scripture is often used on Modern-earth) or as a replacement for his own emotional/physical discomfort with the knowledge that his sister is a sexual person.

Turgon's determined withdrawal into obscurity and from usefulness seems intended to parallel his later withdrawal to Gondolin

I thought of that as well. His "useless" scholarly work is backward-turned too: ancient idiom. (Although one could perhaps say that, with immortal beings, ancient idiom could easily be contemporary also!) I think this hints at the feeling of inadequacy that you observe: If he doesn't try something useful, then he cannot fail to be useful.

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

I loved the end.

*I glimpsed his eyes like pools of shadow watching them over the cover of the book I'd left upon the floor of the library.*

Such a surprise!

Poor innocent Turukano. He is like a lamb that's been invited to a Wolves lair.

I enjoyed this, immensely.

Thank you! This story was so outside my usual comfort zone, both in terms of the topic and the style ... even the character (I think this was the most I'd ever written Turgon). But it was the Taboo challenge, right? :D Thanks so much for reading and especially for commenting; I'm always happy (and relieved) when people enjoy this particular piece. :)