Such Great Deeds by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For Havisham (Agelast)

This story is set in the same 'verse as my Maedhros saga, but can for the most part be read independently.
(Fingon/Maedhros implied only)

 

The text is the same as posted on AO3, but I have readjusted the chapter division in the section set in Eithel Sirion. (It spans three chapters here rather than four.)

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A friendship fic featuring Beleg and Fingon, from the Mereth Aderthad to the Dagor Nirnaeth Arnoediad. 
With guest appearances by Mablung, Cirdan and Gwindor and a great deal of conversation on a great many subjects.

Last added: We Two, From the Wars (Mablung and Beleg return to Doriath, for the Love Actually Challenge)

Major Characters: Beleg, Círdan, Fingon, Gwindor, Mablung

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: B2MeM 2019, Gift of a Story, Love Actually

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes

Chapters: 7 Word Count: 12, 908
Posted on 24 November 2013 Updated on 10 March 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Officially, it seems, Beleg was not among the emissaries that Elu Thingol sent to the Feast of Reuniting.
But perhaps he was there, anyway, briefly...

Beleg and Mablung arrive in Barad Eithel in order to join Fingon's army. They are late arrivals, trying to find their feet and assess the situation.
Features a short appearance by Cirdan.

Beleg encounters the contingent from Nargothrond, including Gwindor.
One night, his intervention is called for.

Fingon and Beleg finally get around to having their private conversation.
It touches on many subjects, past and present.

Eventually, they return from their nocturnal walk to the castle.
It is a peaceful scene--nevertheless the stage is now all set for the Fifth Battle...

How it ends, was always going to end...
Beleg and Mablung escape from the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

After the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, Beleg and Mablung arrive back in Doriath.

 

Double drabble written for B2MeM 2019 and for the Love Actually challenge, for the following quotation:

"But the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music, save only Maglor son of Fëanor, and they loved the woods and the riversides; and some of the Grey-elves still wandered far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went." ~ Of the Return of the Noldor

No warnings for this double drabble except for the lost battle.

Mablung's last stand before the Treasury of Menegroth during the Battle of the Thousand Caves.

Double drabble.

Warning for character death, but no explicit violence.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


*finally getting around to leaving a review*

This is such a gorgeous story--I love your Beleg (painfully awkward at social sitauations? No, that doesn't strike a familiar chord at all ;)), and I love his interactions with both Fingon and Mablung. I also love that you've managed to strike the right balance between angsty foreshadowing and (well, mostly) cheerful back-and-forth. And, of course, hints of Maedhros/Fingon are lovely. This story is very, very beautiful, and I can't begin to articulate how much I love it! ♥♥♥

I love the idea that they can feel the power of the Girdle as they pass through. I imagine it would be a bit like the heavy (though not unpleasant) silence you experience when you walk into a dense wood...
And then, of course, there's the tangible sense of relief at having made it home. You bring that across really well.

Thank you very much!

I like your idea of how it feels to pass through the Girdle!

I guess I was thinking that you would feel both passing through the Girdle and (to a lesser degree) being inside it, and the contrast between the outside and the inside, especially if you were already attuned to Melian's power. A bit like Lorien?

And the potential hostility of the outside has just gone up several notches, with forces that were holding back Morgoth's power further north crumbling, sharpening the contrast.

They are aware of all that, but they are primarily just thinking "home"!