Numenor That Was by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For ratings and warnings see individual stories

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An anthology for stories set in Numenor or involving Numenoreans.

Latest added: Became Estranged from the Eldar (drabble set in the time when the Shadow fell on Numenor)

Major Characters: Elros, Númenóreans, Tar-Ancalimë, Tar-Elendil, Tar-Míriel, Tar-Telperiën, Tar-Vanimeldë, Vardamir, Yávien

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General, Poetry

Challenges: Akallabêth in August, International Day of Femslash, Tolkien Femslash Week Bingo

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 5, 063
Posted on 14 February 2015 Updated on 27 December 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

The Third Ruling Queen of Numenor--as a girl, as Queen, and in old age.
A slightly revisionist account of the importance of dancing.

Rated Teens for Mature Themes (Numenorean politics)

Originally written for Marta for Fandom Stocking 2014 and simultaneously (in the form of a true drabble) for  Tolkien Weekly for the prompt "ballroom".

Tar-Vanimelde, future Queen of Numenor, as a young girl discovers what dancing means to her. 

Fixed-length version of the ballroom scene in "Vanimelde Dances", as originally written for Tolkien Weekly

(100 words acc. to MS Word)

Rating: General

Tar-Ancalime and her granddaughters--maybe a sad tale of repeated misunderstandings.

Here is an episode from their childhood, from the POV of one of the (apparently unnamed) granddaughters.

 

Rating: Teens

Warning: Mature Themes (Dysfunctional Family)

True drabble (100 words in MS Word)

Years after Tar-Ancalime's death, her elder granddaughter opens a letter from her for the first time.
Its contents change her views--both about her present situation and the past--and enable her to move on.

A slightly revisionist account of the tension between Ancalime and her granddaughters towards the end of her rule.

Sequel to "A Missed Catch"

 

Rating: Teens

Warning: Mature Themes: (Dysfunctional Family, Failed Marriage implied)

 

Who is Yavien? A princess of the House of Elros--a name and a date in a genealogical table. We know little about the early days of Numenor.

But it seems that in a collection of songs found in the Library of Rivendell, a song is preserved that mentions her name...

 

Rating: Teens (very mild sexual content)

Elros's great-granddaughter Yavien returns from one of her journeys through the land of Numenor. This particular trip was a life-changing experience for her. What does she tell her family and how does the encounter go?

Written as a background story for my poem "A Love Song (Imladris Collection of Numenorean Songs No. 72A)", but it also develops its own concerns besides that.

Incorporates "Time Passing: A Fair Copy", a scene featuring Vardamir Nolimon and his grandson Elendil Parmaite (later King Tar-Elendil of Numenor), written for Akallabeth in August and the first prompt of the Passing Time challenge on Tolkien Weekly: calendar. This had been previously posted to the Archive as an independent chapter. 

Rating: Teens (Mature Themes: social issues and reference to canonical character death)

 

A working-class girl gets entangled in the intrigues at the court of the last King of Numenor.
It earns her mortal danger and heartbreak--and ultimately survival.

Warnings for death of an OFC with canon-typical violence as well as occasional prostitution and class differences, which render the central relationship arguably dub-con.

(Rating: on the Mature side of Teens)

Tar-Aldarion changes the laws of succession with the purpose of allowing his daughter Ancalime to succeed.
But this also foments the ambitions of Soronto, son of the king's sister Ailinel.

As Oshun has recently pointed out, we do not learn what Ailinel thought about this...

Here's Oshun's bio of Ailinel, written for the April newsletter, in honour of Legendarium Ladies April.

Rated Teens on AO3, just for the politics.

Aldarion's change to the Numenorean law of succession disinherits a distant cousin of the King, Malantur. How does he react? 

Sequel to the drabble of Ailinel, Aldarion's sister.

Warnings: reference to canonical dysfunctional family (PG)

Miriel, Queen of fated Numenor, near drowns in images of water long before she drowns.

Warning for major character death, suicidal ideation, and implied non-con

Teens

The future queen Tar-Telperien asks her aunt about her refusal of the Sceptre.

 

Originally written for Isilloth, for Fandom Giftbox 2018, who had requested  fanfiction on the subject of how Telperien coped with sexism in Numenorean society.

This piece also features her aunt, Tar-Ancalime's granddaughter, who refused the Sceptre, like her sister.  In my 'verse, she left her husband, who had treated her very badly, and went to live with her brother in Tar-Armenelos. 

Rating: Teens.

Minor warning for references to children getting into a fight despite an age difference.

The Shadow has fallen on Numenor, but there are still embassies from Tol Eressea to the court at Armenelos. One of these messengers has a decision to make.

Rating: Teens (warning for reference to character death)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, not creepy in the least, you made my day, even if I wasn't able to respond at the time!

I suspect you're one of the select few in liking my take on Ancalime and her granddaughters--and although I'm quite resigned to my approach being a minority interest, I appreciate every single response I get and especially one as enthusiastic as yours!