Lake Helevorn: A Summer Romance by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I had been planning to write the story of this relationship from Caranthir's point of view, for quite some time--I think I still will write the rest of the story from his point of view.
But a LLA prompt made me decide to try and write a piece from the point of view of the female character involved, as much as I could--more of a challenge than you might think, in this case!

Rated Teens more for things hinted at than stated--but the rest of the story will be darker.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Uncanonical take on Caranthir's canonical wife: in my 'verse she is not an elf.
(No, not Haleth--and not a dwarf either, although I like that version.)

Major Characters: Caranthir

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 616
Posted on 1 May 2016 Updated on 1 May 2016

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I also see that I only made "telepathic comments" when I first read this a while ago and not typed ones. I found my way here via The Sea Comes For Helevorn and both ficlets really made an impact on me and the imagery stuck, as does the headcanon of Caranthir's wife being a lake/maia. It just feels so apt for him. I can envision him being reembodied as a valley wherin she resides and them both being more content and comfortable than they've ever been. Well, Caranthir certainly.

This is so beautifully written, I really enjoy and relate to her POV and I'm so pleased things aligned to inspire you to write it this way.

Thank you very much!

Caranthir being reembodied as a valley is an interesting suggestion that would not have occurred to me.

My original idea had something to do with having read LeGuin's story "Vaster than Empires and More Slow", although it doesn't really bear any resemblance to that story. But it has an ending in which the empath abandons his human companions to become the sole human inhabitant of a planet with sentient vegetation. Not the same thing as being reembodied as a valley, of course!