Three by the Door by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Revolution challenge for the following individual prompt:

"The Revolutionary Women's Army Attacks Nanjing"

My response features an uprising and female warriors, but I have rearranged things a bit.

(I have also included the earrings, as an extra detail.) 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elros, future King of Numenor, makes the acquaintance of some of his future subjects--and finds out that some traditions that he thought forgotten have survived the drowning of Beleriand.

Major Characters: Elros, Men

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Revolution

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 688
Posted on 4 March 2017 Updated on 4 March 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

In my 'verse, Elros did not fight alongside the main force of the Edain during the War of Wrath, but was still with the Sons of Feanor and their followers--and although he was acquainted with some Edain when he made his choice to become mortal, he did not foresee some of the consequences of his choice.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


<i>A great number of very tall golden-haired people--it was almost a little oppressive, all that tallness and golden hair, and Elros found his gaze seeking out the slighter, darker people among them that were presumably descendants of the house of Beor--mostly by intermarriage with the Hadorians, since so few pure-blooded descendants of that house had survived the wars and upheavals.</i>

I copied this sentence because I liked it and it resonnated with me that moment I read. I liked it even more when I got to the crucial part of story where he meets the women warrior and the remnants of the Haladin. I liked the way you moved this story away from any direction that I had expected it to go in.

Thank you very much, Oshun! Glad to hear that the story surprised you in a good way!

It's interesting, isn't it, that Numenoreans seem to start out being blonde, at least in the majority, and by the Third Age are typically dark? I suppose it's the association between the Faithful and the  settlement areas favoured by the Beorians, at least in part, and there is certainly enough time in between for things to change!

I found this strangely moving, Himring. Not just the idea of the remnants of Haleth's people (and you wrote them so beautifully- thier hesitation- I could SEE them fidget and twtich, look nervously around themselves) but that moment of Maglor's disapproval is intensely visual- just this lone focuses entriely on a face that although you do not describe, is detailed and so clear because of that:

Maglor's lips had thinned in disapproval, more severe than Elros had expected.

I don't really know how you did that but you did!

Love the nervousness you give Elros- the sense of it being a little overwhelming and his making it up as he goes along (from the imagie of the chair you get that perfectly right from the start).

 

Great writing as always, great idea.

Thank you so much, Ziggy! Really glad this was able to move you. I was uncertain how this would come across, as so much of it is just going on in Elros's head. Your comments are very reassuring!

(Thank you also for commenting on AO3 as well! And I will post it on Faerie as soon as I can manage it, as you say you'd like to see it there!)

So much to like about this! 

An interesting moment in Elros' life and not one I have thought about so thank you for highlighting it. 

The comment about all the golden-haired people in attendance made me laugh. 

I was not expectng Haleth's people to be there and I am so glad that is the direction you took with this. 

The flashback to Maglor really struck me--I am a complete sucker for any memories Elrond and Elros have that involve Maglor and Maedhros--but I loved how Maglor's disappointment with Elros' words was so clear. The veiled reference to Caranthir was great also. 

Really a lovely, revealing moment in Elros' life and a tribute to Haleth and her people.

Thank you very much! Glad you found it revealing! 

It is actually canonical (sort of) that a few of the folk of Haleth and a few Druedain went along to Numenor--but it's only a footnote in the Unfinished Tales.

I find this moment of transition really interesting, both for Elros and for the Edain! 

Keiliss's treatment in Quicker than Doubt set me thinking about it, originally, I think.

I love your Elros. He's often depicted as the more impetuous and sullen of the two, and it was nice to see his thoughtful side as he begins to understand his responsibility and actively decides to meet it head-on. Loved the human little details - the folding chair, Elros' slight unease about all those overpoweringly tall blond people, his initial impulse to smile condescendingly before he thinks better of it.

Thank you! Glad you like Elros here! I suppose I've depicted him as more rebellious and angry than Elrond, myself, during the Feanorian period, although in my 'verse that's because Elrond is picking up things willy-nilly by early onset of osanwe and so is more likely to detect what is going on underneath the surface while it is happening, whereas Elros reaches some of his conclusions only later, as he gains more perspective and more experience. Even my younger Elros has his thoughtful side and as he grows up, makes his choice and tackles his new responsibilities, it comes to the fore.  

Good to hear those details work!