Words by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The quotation I was given was this one:

"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it."
~J.K. Rowling

My piece discusses words as language--I will leave it to you to decide whether I'm also addressing the rest of the quote.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A short extra scene in the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth:

Finrod and Andreth discuss matters of language.

Major Characters: Andreth, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Woman's Sceptre

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 831
Posted on 9 May 2017 Updated on 9 May 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I've always loved the Athrabeth! I really liked this study of the languages and nuances of linguistics that your fic focused on and how each of them views these issues. Finrod just becomes more fascinating with each interpretation.

i am always feel sad when I think of Andreth. Even if it was only for a brief time she could have had some joy in her life with Aegnor. It strikes me as monstrously unfair that Aragorn, Tuor and Beren got to marry their true loves but Andreth did not. 

There is a bit of a linguistic angle to the Athrabeth itself, in particular to Finrod's explanation of amdir and estel. But it seemed to me that even more could be said about that side of it, perhaps. I'm glad you enjoyed this attempt to do so!

Yes, it's sad about those two. Maybe Aegnor would have willingly chosen mortality to be with Andreth, if that option had been on the table.

of all the complex shapes in the universe, the shapes of thought are easily the most elaborate, and elusive.

this is a good discussion about one of the trickiest topics in philosophy; the indeterminacy of translation is still generating tons of tomes. but i like the way you ended with a slop bucket, philosophers say 'remember the table'.

language is impossible, obviously, but you know what i mean...

i like your 'devastatingly sincere' Finrod. reminds me of Professor Kirke from Narnia, as though you have channeled 🙈 C.S.Lewis. of course, i havent read the Athrabeth. 

Thank you very much!

I'm glad that this makes sense to a reader who hasn't read the Athrabeth! (The summary I linked is a good one, if you haven't got access to the text, but of course it isn't in the Professor's voice.)

I feel I've only touched on the topic, almost, really.

Good to hear that you liked the slop bucket!

Tantalising! I wish they could have discussed this at greater length, although I definitely understand Andreth's discomfort at trying to explain this to Finrod (not just because she might pick it to pieces, but simply because it is hard to put into words what she means, especially without the linguistic terms to start with!). And the ending was heartbreaking. Andreeeth. ;_;