Ships in the Harbour by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

I originally began this story for "Sorry, Celebrimbor" month, Huinare's challenge on LiveJournal, which asked for a story featuring Celebrimbor that did not involve him in heavy angst and major trauma and, if possible, even allowed him some measure of happiness.

I've taken the SWG's "Behind the Scenes" challenge as a prompt to continue this stalled WIP. For the purposes of the current SWG challenge, what is taken to be "behind the scenes" is what happened in Dor-lomin during the War of Wrath, when the Host of the Valar made war on Morgoth. Some of these events are narrated in a section of the story that previously only existed in outline and that I have now written out for the SWG challenge.

There is a second chapter planned and already partly written.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the harbour of Lindon, at the beginning of the Second Age, ships are being built--ships for the Edain to leave Middle-earth for Numenor, ships to carry the Elves to Valinor. At this time, Celebrimbor has an unexpected encounter and sees his path more clearly.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Men, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Behind the Scenes

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 467
Posted on 10 November 2017 Updated on 10 November 2017

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you very much! I'm glad it seems convincing to you!

I think that, given the way Tolkien describes the occupation of Dor-lomin and how long it is apparently supposed to have lasted, resolving that situation would be rather more messy than the Silmarillion text makes it appear. Admittedly, that impression is partly because we have a very detailed treatment of the occupation in Unfinished Tales and the War of Wrath chapter, on the other hand, is a bit sketchy even by Silmarillion standards!

Celebrimbor's reaction here, I hope, dovetails with what we are told about his motivations later. Never mind the eventual results, I do credit him with caring for more than just his own faction or race.

Thank you very much!

I'm glad you like Celebrimbor here! As you say, the calm is only relative and that will also be true of the following chapter.

And it's very good to hear that you feel this is an appropriate fill for the challenge, as I was wondering whether anyone would think it looked a bit sneaky.