Shadowmere by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Chooses not to warn, for reference to canonical dark background, including long-term imprisonment

Fanwork Information

Summary:

There is some suggestion that Tirion continued to be inhabited after the fall of Numenor.
How did its inhabitants feel about the fact that Pharazon's army was buried so close to the city?

Major Characters: Fingon, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: B2MeM 2019

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 614
Posted on 30 June 2019 Updated on 30 June 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I definitely have always believed that Tirion was still inhabited. Moving is a much bigger deal than rebuilding on the spot. It is human (and therefore elven) not to want to start over from scratch. I need to track down Bunn's map of Tirion. I am terrible to keeping things like that at my fingertips.

I told you on AO3 in unnecessary detail my reactions to this story. I found it moving and profound. It touches at the heart of historic wars and losses in those wars throughout history. The loss of a person shakes an individual family and may elicit sympathy in broad or narrow intersecting circles, but losses of lives in the huge numbers shake societies. It must be yet more difficult to address the mass death of an unexpected aggressor's entire military force on one's doorstep so to speak. I am not surprised that Finrod seeks his own solution and that Fingon chooses to join him.

I am so glad you decided to post it here as well.

Thank you very much, Oshun!

I had always written Tirion as being still inhabited in my stories set in later-age Valinor. It was only when I thought about it that I realized that the canonical basis for that is perhaps not quite as strong as I had imagined. But I agree that it seems very likely, nevertheless, for the reasons you say!

What you said on AO3 made perfect sense to me! But you are expressing it very well here and getting straight at the heart of the matter, I feel!

Thank you very much again!

 

This is a link to bunn's map as she re-posted it on the SWG Discord, recently:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/473951944466235403/594119426408710145/DSC00811.jpg

I hope the link works! You probably have to be logged in.