Hearing Inside by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Chauntlucet's request for a story about a particular connection between Maglor & Caranthir at the in_a_peartree community on Dreamwidth and originally posted to AO3.

I early on adopted the fanon that Caranthir has unusually strong telepathy / empathy (osanwe) and that the problems that he has with his temper are in great part due to this. (This fanon originally stems from Dawn Felagund's "Another Man's Cage").

The fic uses Quenya names. There is a key in the end notes for readers who want it.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Growing up in Valinor, Maglor and Caranthir establish a strong connection, despite difficulties.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 276
Posted on 12 January 2020 Updated on 12 January 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Warning for mental health issues.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a really interesting interpretation of how Carnistir hears music! I loved that he and Maglor have a special link in this interpretation. 

Hmm--I modeled my Carnistir's character on AMC also. I asked Dawn at the time when she was still writing it if she saw him as having some form of atypical autism. And she said she didn't! But my granddaughter, who had at that time had recently been living with me for over three years, was on the autistic spectrum and her behavior and sensitivities reminded me incredibly of her Carnistir.

You give them such a lovely connection.

Thank you very much, Oshun!

I am glad that you liked this interpretation of how Carnistir hears music and how Maglor and he relate to each other! The prompter requested that there should be a special connection. I was sure my Carnistir and Maglor had one, but I had to work out the details for my 'verse. I hadn't written them alone together before, I think, just in group scenes where the focus was on something else that was going on.

I think some of the effects of being not only strongly telepathic, but also strongly empathic, as the Carnistir in AMC is--I recall him picking up emotions almost more strongly than conscious thoughts, although that is probably partly because he is so young at the time of AMC--might well resemble those of atypical autism.  Dawn's descriptions of Carnistir impressed and convinced me, although I do not have such a strong and up-close personal experience of autism as you do.

Sorry for replying so late! I missed your comment, because I was not getting notifications at the time.