Send in the Clowns: A story of Numenorean theatre by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This, I believe, fits the following Block Party prompts: 

  • Create a fanwork with a prompt from Legendarium Ladies April. 
  • Hiding in Plain Sight (fanwork created featuring Tar-Alcarin)
  • Make a fanwork about a woman who is also a mother (upcoming prompt)

Originally triggered, however, by hearing Stephen Sondheim's song "Send in the Clowns", which provided the title. I knew little of the original context in the musical, until later when I read up on it,  but I hope it will seem fitting anyway.

 

Now added: an extra drabble for the Middle-earth Olympics Challenge

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tar-Vanimelde's last performance turns out more dramatic than her son expects.

Major Characters: Númenóreans, Tar-Alcarin, Tar-Vanimeldë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Block Party

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 1, 925
Posted on 2 May 2020 Updated on 1 May 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Warning: May not be suitable for Herucalmo fans!

I realized that in the story, I was so focused on the dancers and the dancing that I said nothing about the music.
Here is a theme song that may suggest or hint what it could have sounded like.
I went back to the original poetry prompt for more imagery to write it.

A missing scene: Tar-Vanimelde considers her co-conspirators, before the evening of the performance.

Written for the Middle Earth Olympics Challenge (Table Tennis: insta-drabbling).

The four prompt words were: artistic - rings - balance - tumble.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I found the imagery striking and very powerful -- the contrast between the flamboyance and flimsy of the costumes as seen from close-up, and their beauty when seen from the audience seats, sets up a nice parallel to the contrast between theatre as seen through the eyes of purely "practical" politicians and the magic of the stage to enthrall and empower. I loved - as bad as that sounds - the political machinations in the background. I loved how the dancers found their courage as soon as they decided to perform anyway - the show must go on - and I love the implications of this (and perhaps every other) performance of Tar-Vanimelde: frivolous and theatrical on the surface, but deeply political underneath.

Poor Vanimelde, and poor Alcarin! But I feel that they both took strength from this performance.

"The show must go on" is definitely a theme here! It makes them stronger, as a group.

I am glad that suggested contrast worked for you.

I had written a short piece before about Tar-Vanimelde and the implications of her dancing ("Vanimelde Dances" in my Numenor anthology). Yes, there was always a political side to it, although in times before these, it was more of a cultural policy rather than political intrigue.

Thank you!

A lot is packed into this gem of a story. I really appreciated how Alcarin’s perception of the situation changes so dramatically (so to speak) as the story progresses. It begins with him feeling embarrassed that his elderly mother with her bent, arthritic hands is planning a dance performance when clearly she’s past her prime. He notices the costumes, meant to look impressive from a distance, but close up, appear tawdry. He wants to beg his mother not to do this. Then her husband, Herucalmo, sends  guards to turn away the audience and Vanimelde reveals the real reason she insisted on this performance. She wants to make a plea to her people to put Alcarin in power once she’s gone. Suddenly, Alcarin sees her completely differently. She wasn’t doing this to relive some past glory but rather to try to counter her husband’s machinations. His mother who didn’t care for politics is doing something political, and daring, in an act of love for him. Now that they’ve been discovered, there is fear for the other performers, but they rally and decide to do the performance anyway, without the speech, as if that’s what they meant to do all along.  And in a moment of moral clarity, Alcarin decides to sit in the audience to support them all. The performance takes on tremendous meaning for him that he remembers the rest of his life.  It seems he matures that night as he comes to a larger understanding about his mother, and himself, and what it means to stand up for each other.

Goodness, are there Herucalmo fans?  Certainly not after reading this. lol.

Thank you so much for your comments here and during the discussion yesterday!

I realized afterwards I had not answered your question about the relationship between Alcarin and Herucalmo.

I had to think about this a bit to put my thoughts about this into words:

Alcarin (that is, the Alcarin of Himring 'verse) always loved his mother, but was conscious of being in some ways more like his father. Herucalmo was more hands-off, as a parent, but at the same time quite persuasive as a parental authority. At the time before this story starts, Alcarin is really feeling let down by both his parents in different ways, but does not want to admit it. During this story, he realizes that he is less like Herucalmo than he thought and also that values he shares with his mother are a more meaningful bond than any shared character traits with his father. (Hope that makes sense!)

Vanimelde is such a fascinating character, an artist's soul trapped in the body of a ruler. You have captured that tension so well, her love for the performance and the nervousness of the political setting. Likewise, with her aging body (the hands!), fantastic character building.

Alcarin watching the performance alone is such a powerful image in my mind. No doubt, his mother's legacy will live through him.

Thanks for sharing! (I won't be able to join the book club sesh as it takes place during my crack of dawn, but I highly enjoyed this, thank you)