The Art of Long-Distance Grandparenting by Kaz

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Why did Glorfindel return to Middle-earth? Maybe the Valar decided they needed a messenger. Maybe he felt he still had something to do there and begged them to let him return. Or maybe it went something like this...

It's the early Second Age and Idril is worried about her grandsons. In the course of this she waylays new arrivals to Valinor, tries to find her footing with her own grandmother, schemes with Tuor, Finrod and Glorfindel, and finally sets a plan into motion.

Major Characters: Anairë, Elrond, Finrod Felagund, Gil-galad, Glorfindel, Idril, Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 343
Posted on 4 March 2013 Updated on 4 March 2013

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Many thanks go to Krait for an excellent beta!

Quenya name translations and further notes at the end.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I thought I'd reviewed this already, so I apologize!

I love this story! The mobbing for any hints of information of those still on Middle-earth is something I hadn't thought of, and it's perfect. I love Idril-- how she's determined to do something, her foresight (especially of the "could have been"), and everything about her. I also like how Elrond takes a bit after Tuor. And the final line never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Wonderful, wonderful story.