Some Futile Hope by Luxa

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is my first story on this site, so forgive me is some things are a little weird, I haven't gotten it all worked out yet. This story, in the long run, is about the founding of Imladris, but it's a long road to get to that point. It features heavy Elrond/Gil-galad, so if you're not into that, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It is the Second Age of Middle-earth. Sauron is regrouping, the Rings are being forged, the Numenorians are beginning their descent into madness, and Glorfindel has been sent back to Middle-earth for...for what? Only time will tell, and when it does, all of Middle-earth will rise up to fight.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Elrond, Gil-galad, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 21 Word Count: 33, 377
Posted on 5 June 2013 Updated on 14 August 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This first chapter has mentions of torture and canon character death, which I woulsd consider mature themes and moderate violence.

Celebrimbor is crying.

Glorfindel returns to Middle-earth to find, not war, but friendship in his new King and his lover, Elrond Halfelven.

Glorfindel learns a little about Elrond and a lot about his problems, so he sets out to help the Half-elf.

Glorfindel, in the course of one night, realizes why he's been sent back to Middle-earth.

Elrond arrives for his first training session with the other Elves while Glorfindel tries not to think about his developing feelings for a certain war minister. 

Glorfindel's dairly routine is distupted by two things, only one of them related to matters of state.

Glorfindel learns a great deal from his King. More, indeed, than Gil-galad ever thought he would.

Elrond rides out to war and must say goodbye to Gil-galad.

Elrond comes to Celeborn's aid and, in the process, experiences his first battle.

Elrond braces himself for a war he knows he cannot win.

Elrond fights in battle again, and sees a banner he never wanted to see.

Elrond begins to settle in Rivendell while a war rages.

Elrond and Glorfindel manage to keep their cheer up in public, while Elrond is secretly plagued by doubts.

Elrond and Glorfindel have a misunderstanding.

Elrond finds himself a part of a group, even as rations grow shorter.

There is battle, and Elrond is injured.

Elrond heals, albeit painfully.

Elrond survives banter with Glorfindel and meets with dwarves.

Elrond relearns swordplay.

The tide turns.

Elrond finally gets the reunion he's ached for.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


How horrifying. Eeps! You capture something real I think in the idea that the tears come only as long as there is some glimmer of hope that everything is not over yet. When he realizes his situation is totally hopeless he turns numb.

It's a beginning. Are all the chapters going to be so short? Or is this an intro only? It does say a lot in 300-plus words.

Welcome to the site!

Oh, I like this chapter. They are developing nicely. I want to get to know them better. I love the pretty Elrond and macho Gil-galad and am loving Glorfindel's POV. He is a great point of view character, observant and not too lost in his own head.

Elrond's hair reminds me a lot of Elrond in Keiliss's Even Quicker Than Doubt. Have you read that one? It's one of my favorites and stands the test of time for me.

Enjoying this so much. I am always a real sucker for a good Elrond/Gil-galad story.

I always admire writers who are able to people their world with a good number of OCs--although I do enjoy reading about the major characters I love so much. As fanfic writers, we seek to deeper and embellish the basic skeleton of the canon, and it is hard to be effective at doing that without adding some additional people. Tolkien only mentions the most outstanding ones. I always feel just the opposite, like I do not include enough secondary characters in my stories. (Naming them always stumps me!)

Still really enjoying this. Squirming in my seat to know where you are going the amount of UST that poor Glorfindel is suffering at the moment.

I thought the "yellow flower" references were conscious. Yellow is a color I would more often associate with flowers than golden, despite Wordswoth's "host of golden daffodils!" I think I can forgive you the license in light of how much fun I am having with the story. What a way to end a chapter!