A Brother's Gift by Elisif

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An explorative response to the question "why didn't Curufin ever make Maedhros a mechanical hand"?

Major Characters: Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 233
Posted on 15 July 2013 Updated on 15 July 2013

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Interesting that there are not more stories talking about Curufin crafting a prosthetic hand. It seems obvious to me that he would. You use the plot device to reveal a lot of character issues relating to ways in which all of the brothers are damaged. In my glass half-full as opposed to half-empty approach, I read that period and write it as one of healing, planning, and moving forward, because I find myself focusing on the work ahead in the next short period in Beleriand. The other side that you explore is ever present, of course, and becomes more and more transparently obvious beginning with the second Kinslaying. Two sides of the same coin, I guess.

I did include a hand in my story "A New Day" here. It's inclusion was far more practical and less dramatic, so it may not have made as big of an impression on the readers.

I loved this! Your characterizations of all the brothers was great - I love the way you showed Caranthir's interest as a fellow craftsman (not something that always shows up in fic in general) and your portrayal of Amrod was just... wow. Perfect.

Do you truly still believe that we can judge the world in terms of fair is good and marred is evil?

That was a great line. I loved Maedhros and Curufin's little debate, as well as Maglor's attempts at peacemaking. And the story idea itself was really interesting - and it seems like something Curufin would've tried to do, to help. And it also seems just like Maedhros to refuse XD

Great story!

This is awesome! A very good question indeed, and your answer to it makes for an excellent reading with brilliant characterisations of all of the brothers, and very logical reasoning. It always struck me that one of the hardest parts for all concerned must have been to reacquaint themselves with each other after Maedhros' survival, and to get back into that complicated relationship siblings have with each other.