Noise of Thunder by Astris

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the B2MeM 2014 prompt: "There came a time of winter, when night was dark and without moon; and the wide plain of Ard-galen stretched dim beneath the cold stars, from the hill-forts of the Noldor to the feet of Thangorodrim. The watch-fires burned low, and the guards were few; on the plain few were waking in the camps of the horsemen of Hithlum."(The Silmarillion, "Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin")
Write a story or create art from the point of view of the foot soldiers or horsemen who participated in any of the battles in Middle-earth.

Beta'd by the wonderful Elleth.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During the Dagor Bragollach, a captain of the Fëanorian soldiers in Lothlann finds herself caught in the flames.

Major Characters: Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2014

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 205
Posted on 26 March 2014 Updated on 26 March 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

To lift an autumn hair* is no sign of great strength; to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.
...Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated.
Hence the skillful fighter puts himself into a position which makes defeat impossible, and does not miss the moment for defeating the enemy.
(Sun Tzu, The Art of War)

–––

*"Autumn hair" is the fur of a hare, which is finest in autumn when it begins to grow afresh. The phrase is a very common one among Chinese writers. (x)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.