Where the Ocean Meets the Sky and the Land by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This fic was my 2014 NaNoWriMo project; chapters will be posted more or less as I get them edited/rewritten.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Eärendil has gone sailing again--this time through the skies--and Elwing is left to find a place for herself in Valinor, while the Valar prepare for war.

Major Characters: Eärendil, Elwing

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Holiday Party

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 17 Word Count: 33, 066
Posted on 1 May 2015 Updated on 16 December 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh! What a delight to read this! Your descriptions transported me completely into this version of the world: Elwing wandering, not feeling comfortable to be near her new home, beautiful tower in the image of a tree, while it's being built and still unsettled once it's finished; the different light and climates in the four directions, with the storms of the war visible to the east; her people vying to serve her; the image of her flying, first to the market and then cross country to Lorien...

I really love your concept of Melian, returned to Lorien and recovering, albeit slowly (which seems so real, to me), touching her great-granddaughter as a gentle breeze and both of them receiving mutual nurturance from each other, and Elwing sharing her memories of Sirion with her only family this side of the ocean (and Mandos).

This work has such a sense of light while still carrying a gentle undercurrent of deep emotion.

This was the first chapter I've read of this, brought here by the Holiday Party, but the rest of it is going straight onto my reading list now!

Pallando! I knew there was something I'd forgotten to comment on. I have a fondness for the Ithryn Luin and I particularly love your portrail of Rómestámo here: hinting that he's a maia of Irmo; the way his fana shifts and changes like things do in dreams; his apparent affinity for nature, and especially his own kind nature that put her at ease. And I also find it interesting, and apt, that he didn't go to war, although he went to aid Middle-earth (in a gentler way) later.

Read this because it popped up in the Holiday Party challenge list, but I think I have to  go back and start from the beginning to properly appreciate it!

It was excellent to see Pallando pop up here, and of course I'm a sucker for Elwing finding her feet in Valinor.