Elemental by Ysilme

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Please heed the content info and the following notes; no further warnings are given for this story.

This is a photo story, so image-heavy. I down-sized the images for your convenience; clicking on them gives you the full view, which I recommend, as I think they work best in a large size. Also, both parts of the story have been split into short chapters to give the photos room to work.
The story can be read without the photos, too; I've tried to give a concise description in the alt-tags.

Content: Second Age, aftermath of the Oath of Fëanor, Aftermath of severe depression, dissociation and mental illness, learning to live again, hopeful ending

Disclaimer: This is a work of transformative fiction based on JRR Tolkien’s creation, done purely for enjoyment. No infringement is intended and no money is being made.
All images are mine.

Notes:
This is somewhat experimental in style, also in being a joint text/photo story. The first part, titled Water Music, was originally a vignette for a SWG challenge I did not complete. Following the inspiration of two B2MeM 2017 prompts as well as a visit to the Lofotes last summer, this part has now been rewritten and continued in the second part, both completed by photos I took on that journey.
The idea of Maglor coming out of whatever mental state he had been in after the events of the First Age and the Oath of Fëanor - the loss of his brothers, the deeds they have done under the oath and so on - has always intrigued me. I do not follow the fanon idea of Maglor being guilt-ridden and severely depressive for the rest of his life, or the largest part of it; but I do believe that there must have been a time when dealing with the immense loss he has suffered, and the likely immense guilt he carries, must have affected his mental state to a significant degree. Conveying this into tale is difficult, and I am trying here an approach that feels natural to me.
I’m trying to write this from the point of view of a person coming out of deep depression, and after having been lost in a deep mental turmoil. I’m not talking about some specific mental state or illness, but just wrote what felt natural to me for the character. I’m also basing this to a small degree on personal experience, as I suffered from a more or less severe depression for several years; and Maglor finding a way back into normal life on my own experience of doing the same. I have never been half as deep down as the Maglor in my story has been, though, or have been as badly affected as so many others living with depression.
These two vignettes only show Maglor’s first steps in that direction; two more parts already exist as drafts, but might not be finished for a while.

Many thanks to curiouswombat for beta reading and for generally being awesome!

Please click on the images for full view.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

"Each morning, Maglor started off along the beach, following the ebb and flow of the waves. Every day he walked until he grew tired and needed a rest. Then he sat, watching the sea and the sky, and then he walked again."

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2018

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 2, 508
Posted on 12 September 2018 Updated on 12 September 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, wow. Wow!

Far from being bothered by the photos, I'm actually so taken with them I almost feel I'm not paying the writing proper attention. That's gorgeous.

The writing is very evocative of Maglor's state of mind... It's almost jarring juxtaposed with the image.

Wow, thank you so much! ♥ I don't mind that the photo impression precedes the writing for you; I took some of them partly with this story in mind, or rather Maglor at this point in his life, and watched them all the time when I wrote each section. To me, they're inseparably linked, and I'm terribly pleased that it seems to work in this way for you, particularly this: <i> It's almost jarring juxtaposed with the image. </i>

 

Thank you! Here, too, you're getting just what I wanted to show in choosing this photo. It's one of my all-time favourites I took, too, and also one of the best. Also something not so easy to get; we were travelling in the northernmost part of Europe last year, and this was taken at night on the mainland looking out to the Vesterålen islands (the northern part of the Lofotes) across the sound. It was just two or three days after the period when the sun truly never goes beyond the horizon, which creates a whole different atmosphere of light at the time you'd usually expect sunrise or so, as the sun was just above the horizon but hidden behind a mountain range. This was taken at around 5.30 in the morning, I think.

I'm trying to find new and non-repetitive ways to express how much I'm liking the photos - they are gorgeous.

I like how Maglor recognizes that there may be reasons he's not remembering everything again yet, and at a point where he can feel grateful to be.

And he's rediscovered (recovered?) joy - how wonderful. And wanting to be around people again. So curious to see what happens next!

(I tried commenting on the writing first this time rather than oohing and aahing at the photo! But the photo is still wonderful, and I love that bird highlighted against the clouds.)

YES! Go look for Elrond! It is so utterly appropriate that thinking of the night sky should make Maglor think of him. And that photo is fantastic. (Although I may be biased - I'm a sucker for pastel skies over the ocean.)

I loved this story, thanks so much for the recommendation!

 

I'm so happy this works for you as well! The same goes for me for pastel seascapes. I googled one as an inspiration for the first version of this story, and it was breathtaking - and couldn't be used as it wasn't free to show around. So I tried to make my own pics for this purpose, but of course, that's not as easy as it sounds, particularly not if you don't live close to any open water surface. *g*

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback to this fic, and particularly for taking the time to give one to every small part! As this fic was somewhat experimental with the photo part I wasn't sure how well it'd work, and the feedback so far wasn't much to go by, too.