Lingering in the Hither Lands by bunn

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Maglor’s fate as per the published Silmarillion was to wander alone along the shore, singing in pain and regret. That version is the one that Christopher Tolkien created by making a slight amend to reconcile Elrond as a child with the Sons of Fëanor, with Elrond from Lord of the Rings, the Herald of Gil-galad.

This story occurs in an adjacent shade of Arda, and tells the story as per Tolkien’s version of the Silmarillion from 1937, which is slightly different to the published Silmarillion:

Yet not all the Eldalie were willing to forsake the Hither Lands where they had long suffered and long dwelt; and some lingered many an age in the West and North, and especially in the western isles and in the Land of Leithien. And among these were Maglor, as hath been told; and with him for a while was Elrond Halfelven, who chose, as was granted to him, to be among the Elf-kindred.

History of Middle-earth V; The Lost Road and Other Writings Part 2: "Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings" Chapter 6 "Quenta Silmarillion" The Conclusion of the Quenta Silmarillion §28

It more or less fits onto the end of my story Quenta Narquelion, but can stand alone. In this story the Oath of Fëanor was dispelled at the end of the First Age and Maglor is no longer bound by it, although he may not actually know that.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thangorodrim is broken, and the Elves believe that Evil has ended forever. There's a certain amount of tidying-up to be done.

HoME canon in which Maglor is among the Elves in the early second age and Elrond is with him rather than published Silmarillion canon.  

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Galadriel, Gil-galad, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 13, 582
Posted on 23 October 2018 Updated on 23 October 2018

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Galadriel, Celeborn, kindness and nightingales

Elrond and Elros on the shores of Lindon

In the end, everyone is kind.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Okay, I loved this from start to finish. Possibly my favourite part was Elros' explanation for why he chose as he chose, but there are so many awesome thoughts in this that it's hard to pick one. I really enjoyed how you brought Maglor back to his people as one of the Released - that's such a good way of viewing the Oath. Thank you so much for this story!