Missing the Past by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

written for the SWG Holiday Feast challenge, for the Fish Course prompt "Himling." Also I think it might fulfill some of the Main Course prompts.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

“But no, it is not ruins or pottery I am interested in. They told me that Maglor was living on Himling.”

Círdan set down his glass. He did not look surprised. “I had heard rumors,” he said. “The fishermen up the coast that way are a superstitious folk, and I’ve long thought that their ghost stories might have a particular source. But I did not think he was still there, or that he’d gone out to Himling Isle.”

“It makes sense,” Elrond said, staring down into his glass and watching the liquid catch the sunlight as he turned it in his fingers. “Is there a boat I could borrow?”

Major Characters: Círdan, Elrond, Eluréd, Elurín, Ossë, Uinen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Holiday Feast

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 844
Posted on 9 January 2019 Updated on 9 January 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really love the idea that Elrond communicates with his mother - at least this once - via winged messenger. It makes so much sense that I'm surprised I don't see it explored more often, now that you've brought it up!

I also enjoyed the twins' banter - and your kind and practical Círdan. And it's such a lovely thought that Ulmo, Ossë and Uínen are keeping an eye out for Maglor!

But Himling Isle still stood, and it occurred to him to wonder at that—that the fortress of Maedhros son of Fëanor would remain as a monument and testament to Beleriand after other arguably greater places had drowned, when even the grave of Beren and Lúthien lay now far beneath the waves.

What a brilliant observation! Of course, it might simply be due to topography, but still... it's a really interesting detail!

Thank you for writing and sharing!