Butterfly Wings by StarSpray

| | |

Chapter 2


Princess Indis swept into the bright ballroom to gasps of delight and amazement, for it seemed at first that she was clad in living flowers and butterflies that fluttered their wings and rose into a cloud about her when she turned or twirled. But upon closer inspection one could see that the flowers were of the finest, lightest silk and the butterflies flapping wings were tricks of clever stitching and jeweled threads of every color under the sun. She laughed as she spun, nimble as Nessa and sparkling like Varda's stars, across the dance floor.
Míriel stood by and watched, very pleased to see the gown at last in motion. Finwë, in robes embroidered with malinornë leaves at the start of autumn, shimmering green and gold and silver, came to wrap his arms around her from behind. "You have outdone yourself, my love," he said into her ear, before pressing a kiss to her temple. "Your work will rival Vairë's own before too long."

"And those butterflies will not leave anyone covered in pollen," she replied, and he laughed. "Yet now that I see it, I realize I should have—"

"Oh, don't pick at it now! Dance with me instead!"


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment