Elendili by hadastheunseelie

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written as a companion piece to this, but it is by no means a prerequisite to reading this.  

All reviews are craved, especially constructive criticism.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

If elves choose to run from their problems, they really shouldn't involve humans.

Including an apparently teenage girl, an elf with red hair, and a college student with a sketchbook and gold glitter.

Major Characters: Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 8, 883
Posted on 1 January 2017 Updated on 1 January 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I can see how it relates to lanyon's work, but it seems to be very much its own thing--also it is more influenced by folk traditions about the dangers of elves and faerie perhaps?

Disturbing imagery.

I guess the glitter is an allusion to Fingon's gold thread?

Thank you for the compliment!

I never intended that the story be consciously influenced by tales of faerie, though you’re probably right that it was unconsciously influenced, as I just reread Tam Lin a couple weeks ago.

When figuring it out, I mostly thought along the lines of “How would a normal person react to elves.” Of course, my perception of elves has recently evolved into something a bit like how people react to angels in the bible (i.e. being overwhelmed with majesty and then forever changed, and probably thought at least partially insane by their families,) and as that usually happens to people with faeries (even if it’s just a matter of having aged too quickly or too slowly,) I suppose the allegory of elves and faeries (or idea of them both as the same thing,) might make a fair amount of sense.

The glitter is indeed a self-indulgent reference to Fingon’s gold thread, as I felt that giving him a gold fedora was a bit too tacky and oblique, even for me.

Wow. I am only in Chapter One, but this is beautifully written, and I can't wait to read on. There is a sharp simplicity to your writing that captures imagery beautifully and succinctly. I have such a clear image in my mind of your characters and the scenes you paint.

And I'm curious where this is going. I only intended to read the first chapter tonight, but I will be reading on ... :)

This is beautiful and wrenching. Once again, your imagery is perfect to convey experiences that are largely abstract. Your use of light imagery in particular--the stars, Naomi in the sunlight, Nick's sense that she is a bottle filled with fire--is especially lovely and fitting.

The settings too--the slightly sleezy coffee shop, the courtyard with the immortal flowers--really stand out to me.

I know I got to kinda sorta say hi when I sent the email that your account had been approved, but I want to welcome you again to the SWG. I hope that you continue to post with us.