Rían at the Hill of Slain by Zdenka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is a very late fill for two different challenges from back in April, not posted until now because I couldn't stop fiddling with it. The lotr_community challenge for April 2017, Ode to Arda, was to write an ode about "any aspect of Arda: nature, characters, history, special places or events, etc." incorporating a provided pair of rhyming words, though they didn't have to rhyme in the poem. My word pair was sing/wing.

This was also inspired by the Legendarium Ladies April poetry prompt for April 10th, “Sappho’s Reply” by Rita Mae Brown.

The meter and rhyme scheme, though not the style, are based on the odes of John Keats.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Dying on Haudh-en-Ndengin, Rían has a prophetic vision and sings one last song of defiance.

Major Characters: Rían

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn, Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 530
Posted on 11 November 2017 Updated on 11 November 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like that a lot. It also complements your Rian in Gondolin story really well. I guess that was actually written after the poem then, although posted before it?

The connection backward to the story of the sun and moon and forwards to Earendil through Tuor really works for me.

It seems an excellent song for Rian to sing at this point.

Thank you very much! I'm glad they work well together. I'm very bad at finishing things, but when I have a WIP that's unfinished or I'm not satisfied with, I tend to keep circling back to the same ideas and themes from other angles. This poem was basically written back in April -- I rewrote some of the lines but all the concepts were there. And writing the Rian in Gondolin fic made me think of going back to the poem.

Thank you, I'm glad those things work!