Psyche by Harnatano - Lithenna

| | |

Fanwork Notes

- A scene which would happen some times after the 10th chapter of my fanfiction "Anathema"

- Written for the “30-Day Character Study” Challenge - The Mirror Cliche.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In Nargothrond, Curufin deals with a lot of identity issues...

 

Major Characters: Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Experimental, General

Challenges: 30-Day Character Study

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 204
Posted on 2 December 2017 Updated on 2 December 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Such a deeply conflicted self, by then.

Curufin, of all people, is the one most likely to be challenged by his image in the mirror and Nargothrond the most critical phase for him.

You really bring that out here! And it is quite wrenching.

Curufin is so complex. I love that about him! Which is what draws me to him as a character.

Curufin really didn't have his own identity. His life, successes and failures were modelled after and measured against Feanor's accomplishments. 

He really put such a lot of pressure on himself which is quite heartbreaking. 

And you conveyed this in a way that had me riveted. 

Thank you for sharing.

He's fascinating indeed - I wouldn't go as far as to say that he has no identity - I think he definetly has his own self which is far from being only a copycat -  but it is true that he struggles to find and define it (and thus himself), precisely because, as you rightly said, everything he belives in (or wants to believe in) stemmed from his idealization of Fëanor. 

Thank you for your review, I really appreciate and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

He used to delight in his reflection, in the so many hints that pointed at his inheritance; all these details that reminded him – and everybody around - his father and grandfathers. He used to be able to see them everywhere in his face, and he loved it – his own reflection could have been that of Fëanáro, and Curufinwë used to define himself through these similarities.


This has always been the crux of the tragedy of Curufin for me, the idea that his self-identity was so tied into being like his father but a lesser version. How sad!

Well done.