A Walk down Memory Lane by Raiyana

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Story of the Courtship of Curufin, son of Fëanor, told via a collection of objects left behind in Aman.

Collection of vignettes, really.

 

You're welcome to play 'Spot the object'; there are usually more than the title implies involved ;)

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Nerdanel, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Humor, Romance

Challenges: In Rare Form, Middle-earth Museum, Notion Club Revival, Season's Greetings

Rating: Adult

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 23, 721
Posted on 19 March 2018 Updated on 10 January 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

The Hunting trip continues

 

Because of this discussion, Maglor is now the president of the association for the appreciation of cheese in Tirion... Moryo does not quite approve.

This chapter was partially inspired by the Notion Club Challenge, the In Rare Form challenge (including a fairy tale), and the Season's Greetings challenge as well as the mirror from the original Museum Challenge xD

Back of finely inlaid mirror

Inkwell Octagonal inkwell box with stepped octagonal lid; “Moorish” designs etched into surface including swirls and pointed elements; brassy finish with traces of blue color applied into grooves of some design elements

Pectoral ornamentspectoral ornaments (Ferno's outfit was inspired by these, though mostly by traditional aztec jewellery)

 

Screen

Round end table

Armchair

 

This came about because NelyafinweFeanorion asked about the brothers' reactions. Enjoy!

What do Fëanor and Nerdanel think about their son's engagement?

So this... happened.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


OMG! This is a adorable. I love it. Great characterization all the way through. I love the younger, softer Curufinwe which one does not often find in fics. I love almost tossed away passing characterization of the others. Love the idea of Maglor gathering artists of all sorts around him to help him produce extravaganzas. I especially love the half-Telerin/half-Vanrarin young woman who is not intimidated by grumpy, hyper-focused Feanor.

Terrific use of the goggles!

Thoroughly entertaining. 

I just discovered this tonight and I think it's lovely. Very creative way of incorporating the objects and prompt. I really like the fact that you chose Curvo and his courtship for the story line. The characterisations are excellent and the undercurrent of humor here, especially regarding Kanó (and intoxicated Finno), is quite entertaining. I often feel an undercurrent of sadness/impending tragedy when I read fics set in the happier days in Tirion before the Darkening but I don't get that from this story and that is refreshing. I like the fact that Curvo is a bit out of his depth and that he has rough edges and imperfections--especially his utter lack of fashion sense! The romantic tension is well done and I am as ready for them to kiss as they are!

Thank you so much for your kind comments :D

I'm happy the lack of impending tragedy works (I, too, read so many woe is coming fics, but it really didn't fit this story to be angst that way)

My Curvo is definitely not smooth... And honestly I don't even know when the kissing will happen ;) also, yay, I'm secretly funny! Well, I'm most often funny by accident, but I did want to explore the brothers' dynamics without worrying too much about the darker parts of the story (may still happen, you never know) because I don't think any of them are the same characters in happy tirion (for a certain degree of happy, anyway) as they are later, under the influence of the deeds they have done, the Oath, and all the rest.

I cannot tell you how much I adore the attempted lock picking scene and how you have characterised them all so well. Carnistir and his lock picking, Maitimo overseeing everything but also in charge of the little ones, Tyelko gleeful at the prospect of climbing up to the roof and Makalaure irritable. But their seriousness when discussing the rule of no locking up craft rooms and their palpable worry about Curvo, who most certainly should know that rule. Also the lovely touch that they have often had to drag him away when he is creating or manage to get food into him. really lovely details. And of course they will be discussing pulleys and ropes because they are problem solvers and full of unique and creative ideas, even for breaking into Curvo's forge.

Tyelko's thoughtful bundle of food is perfect. 

And what a great scene in the forge! I love how completely flustered he is that his carefully laid plans have been brought to a shambles. And that he has made a dozen rings and can't decide which is best for her but has one defiinitely fo himself. 

I had a feeling Feanaro would show up and be able to get in. I love that he reprimands for the locked door, not much else. Great chapter. Can't wait to see the brothers reactions. They know, I'm sure of it.

I hadn't actually planned to write their reaction... but now I surely must :O Also Nerdanel... I shall continue beyond ze deadline ^^

Curvo certainly does know the rule, it just didn't seem quite as important as his plans at the time... even if it led to being interrupted by his father (and, yes, Fëanor DID really go make a key to unlock the door - he was worried, too).

Fëanor, in general, strikes me as someone who would notice the ring she was wearing, realise why she was wearing it (recognising Curvo's work, perhaps), and be a little lenient... - he'd remember when it was he and Nerdanel hiding out in a forge, after all. Their similarity would probably allow him to guess that Curvo would not do so if he wasn't serious, which meant there'd be little reason to protest.

The wild begetting-day party, swamped by too many inebriated brash young Noldor! But none more brash than "with Prince Half-Naked"--love the descriptions and cultural blending and contrasts. What one would expect at a party like that of the best and brightest of the younger generation of a privileged people. Just as I would expect in the golden age of Tirion.

Fingon stoned out of his mind, draped all over his favorite cousin, and Maedhros being relentlessly correct and gracious while taking his leave of their hostess!

I love the almost-kiss scene. That was so well done--terribly romantic and suspenseful and then annoying drunk Maglor! Oh, well. There will be another chance. They are lovely together. Love that she manages to reach him with mind-touch and bid him an affectionate farewell that way.

These stories have been such a treat!