Abundance [ Nerdanel ] by Lordnelson100

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Of artistry, women's bodies, and loss. 

#

Week after week, she worked at it, chisel in hand. Her hands were worn and bruised, the skin dry and cracked with stone dust, her nails broken. Her boots and leggings were covered in a thick paste of slurry, and even her tunic and other clothes were frankly unclean. Her hair was stuffed carelessly into a rough cap, from which it escaped in ragged ends. 

#

Major Characters: Aulë, Fëanor, Mahtan, Nerdanel, Yavanna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 095
Posted on 26 March 2018 Updated on 26 March 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is absolutely wild! I love the visual elements. I love Nerdanel so much. It uses humor and pathos gorgeously in the narrative elements.

(thought they managed to sound as if it were Fëanor’s achievement, discovering her hidden worth, more than it were her own merit for having it).

Well put! Despite protestations to the contrary, it seems to me there was a fair amount of gender bias among Tolkien's tale of the Noldor (but that is an essay in itself). Nerdanel and Miriel are written as exceptions; Galadriel is written strong, but only forgiven after long years of suffering and final redemption; Aredhel is punished for trying to break away from the cage her brother kept her in, etc., etc.

But this is truly a wonderful piece, which gives Nerdanel her own mind and her own creative power. Really important. I was gripped by the plastic elements of the story, the crafts, the texture, the colors, and pulled through much too quickly. I will go back and read it more slowly another time. But I did not want to wait to tell you how much I love it.

I am not familiar with the Medieval polychrome wooden relief carvings at the Smith College Museum but was thinking of others I have seen in other places (the NYC Metropolitan Museum and its Medieval branch at the Cloisters) while I was reading. So, that aspect of the description was wildly successful for me. I felt so clever when I read your note. (Readers love to feel like they got something the writer intended.)

I wish the better description of Nerdanel's art had made it into the published Silmarillion. I think I have referenced it myself in more than one story. Her power as an artist and a craftsman is what makes the Nerdanel/Feanor love story work for me. If she was lauded as the best mom in Aman and beautiful as Luthien, their story would not have worked for me.

Thanks for sharing a beautiful piece!

Thank you so much! You have an observant eye: the crowd of the bereft, their individuality, was something that became poignant to me as I wrote . . . thinking about how the sort of "blessed kingdom" aspect of Aman becomes so paradoxical for the Noldor after the traumatic splitting of their people.

It makes me happy to here Oshun recommended it!