Such marks we leave by Morcondil

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the May 2018 challenge at the Silmarillion Writer's Guild, Rise Above.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Raising a child of the house of Finwë is no small task, and Elenwë is plagued with doubts as Idril grows to become much like her father’s family. She sets out to give her daughter a gift worthy of a Noldorin princess.

Major Characters: Aredhel, Elenwë, Idril

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Rise Above

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 559
Posted on 7 May 2018 Updated on 7 May 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was extremely enjoyable!

I'm not sure whether you realized it, but you made the House of Finwe seem like such giants of the Elven world, in the eyes of someone reading this.

The story itself was truly entertaining and Elenwe was such a sweet character. Someone overawed by the accomplishments of the House they had married into.

'Several thousand years later...' Brought a tear to my eye, as the House of Elrond were putting Elenwe's talent for 'Botany'to good use.

A good deal of thought went into this and it shows.

Thank you for sharing, Morcondil.

I admire Elenwe's willingness and courage to undertake such a daunting task for the sake of her daughter.

It's a nice revelation that she does not need to, that she has her own strengths and is in any case loved regardless.

I like your characterisation of Aredhel and her supportiveness.

And that bit about Celegorm is fun.

And the epilogue in Imladris is lovely. Elenwe may not make it to Middle-earth herself, but her legacy does...

I really enjoyed the interactions between the characters - they felt so alive and real. You brought the challenge of parenthood across so well. Glad Elenwë found a way of using her own skills to teach her daughter, rather than trying to be something that she's not. The epilogue made me smile! It's wonderful to think that Elenwë's hard work would be treasured so much after all that time, in a world that has changed to much!