Beyond the Sunset Leads My Way by mainecoon

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story is a collaboration for the Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang 2018. The inspiring artworks were created by maglor_still_lives and are located here: Header, Artwork 1 and Artwork 2. Title: "In the Cold Light of Day".
Hugs and cheers to both maglor_still_lives and bunn for betaing and discussion!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

As the Ringbearers prepare to depart from Middle Earth, one last question still weighs on Elrond's mind. Gandalf is not sure how to answer it. Six thousand years ago at the Havens of Sirion, the twin sons of Feanor found an answer for themselves: one that spoke of little pity and of no hope at all.

Elrond is not willing to accept it, and Gandalf wonders.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Elrond, Gandalf

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 6, 133
Posted on 24 September 2018 Updated on 24 September 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a fantastic piece-very well written! In fact, it felt so... for lack of a better word real that I almost felt like it could be canon(except for the whole,” Sam seeing the ship depart thing.”) I loved the way you developed the characters, particularly the Sons of Fëanor felt very real and difficult and true to themselves. Your characterizations felt spot on.

Sometimes when I was reading, particularly the parts that were written by Amras, I would forget that I was reading a fanfic,or in fact reading anything at all-and just accept it. It made me completely suspend my disbelief, which in my opinion is one of the greatest things a piece of writing can do.

Thank you so much! "This made me completely suspend my disbelief" is the greatest compliment one can get as a writer, so this makes me very very happy! Glad the characterizations worked. The Feanorians are such complex, difficult characters; I find it not so easy to do them justice. And since Tolkien himself wrote so many conflicting versions, we can use a bit of poetic licence if it makes the characters happy. (Or maybe it was Sam who used poetic licence? Who can tell. :) )