Weaving by Zdenka

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Three scenes of Galadriel weaving, the things she learned and the things she taught. Written for Purimgifts 2019.

Major Characters: Arwen, Eärwen, Galadriel, Lúthien Tinúviel, Melian

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 1, 840
Posted on 23 March 2019 Updated on 23 March 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Young Galadriel learns to weave sailcloth with her mother in Alqualondë, with some reluctance.

". . . and the white timbers we wrought with our own hands, and the white sails were woven by our wives and our daughters." (The Silmarillion, "Of the Flight of the Noldor")

Galadriel learns from Melian in Doriath.

'What wilt thou weave? What wilt thou spin?'
'A marvelous thread, and wind therein
a potent magic, and a spell
I will weave within my web that hell
nor all the powers of Dread shall break.'

(The Lay of Leithian, Canto V)

Galadriel weaves the cloaks of Lothlórien, as young Arwen looks on.

"Leaf and branch, water and stone: they have the hue and beauty of all these things under the twilight of Lórien that we love; for we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make. ... You are indeed high in the favor of the Lady! For she herself and her maidens wove this stuff . . ." (The Fellowship of the Ring, "Farewell to Lórien")


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


As a weaver, I really enjoyed these!  The first one fits right in with my headcanon of Galadriel becoming an accomplished sail-weaver -- especially the bit at the end.  The second one:  so that's where Lúthien got the idea!  The third one:  song is definitely part of the magic, and it's delightful to see someone so young knowing that instinctively.