Gathering Dusk by Idrils Scribe

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A nameless evil spreads through the North, and the Elves must fight or be destroyed. When the Hidden Valley comes under siege, Elrond and Celebrían's children face wars of their own. Elladan bears the burden of his father's secret, Elrohir fights his greatest battle yet, and Arwen seeks her purpose in a darkening world.

The tale of the fall of Arnor and the rise of the Witch-king, as seen from Rivendell.

This story is completely written and will be posted over the month of December. Many thanks to my wonderful beta readers Dawn Felagund and Cherepashka.

Major Characters: Arwen, Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Family, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 29, 564
Posted on 30 November 2019 Updated on 12 January 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This chapter and the next ones contain canon-typical violence: battles, but also violence against non-combatants and prisoners of war. There are mentions, but no detailed descriptions, of torture, chattel slavery, rape, and its aftermath (forced pregnancy). Proceed with caution if this subject matter might trigger or offend you. There will be no separate chapter warnings to avoid spoilers.

Please heed the warnings in chapter 5

All of the warnings given in chapter 5 apply.

Sneak peek for False Dawn


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Simultaneously horrific and glorious.  I hardly know what I can compare it with to give you an idea of how riveting this chapter is, even compared with the rest of its riveting yéni únótimë setting in the House of Elrond.  Maybe Guy Gabriel Kay's The Sarantine Mosaic series?

I don't comment much on your works because it's so embarrassing never to be able to come up with something more eloquent than "I hecking love this!"  But I do really love it.

Thank you so much for your kind words! Writing this chapter was a huge challenge and I'm very proud of finishing it.

I'm also very happy that you liked the setting. JRRT left us such a wealth of material and much of it is rarely used by fanfic writers. I'm aiming to explore the entire course of the third and early fourth age in this 'verse. That's a big project, and getting feedback like yours really helps to keep me going.

I hope you'll feel more comfortable commenting on my stories in the future, even if it's just to say 'I liked this" (or not!). 

Thanks again! 

This whole story is absolutely stunning! I am in awe of your gift of description and I love the fact that you are filling in the gaps in history so well. Your original characters are brilliant too. I felt so sorry for that poor little orc snaga.

The double battle chapter had me on the edge of my seat!

Sorry for not commenting on each chapter but I've only just managed to log in on my phone!