Chewing The Fat by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

If it isn't obvious, the 'fat dormouse' description was my doing in the challenge prompts, and I was a bit stuck on the name.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During a lesson, Elrond is puzzled by the name of an animal.

Major Characters: Dwarves, Elrond, Elros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 805
Posted on 10 October 2020 Updated on 10 October 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you!

I am pleased to share the linguistic/culinary curiosity that is the fat dormouse. :)

The final bit is indeed about the beaver - I really dithered about which of the many prompts that caught my eye to write about, and the dormouse won because the incongruity of the name and the picture stuck with me since I first saw it!

I didn't know that about the fat dormouse either - I thought the English name might be due to the animal having to build up fat for its (supposedly) seven-month sleep (which it's probably just starting to do in the picture). So I learned something along with the young Elves and Dwarves!

And I really liked the idea of Elrond and Elros learning Khuzdul and Dwarven lore - and of formal schools among the Dwarves.