Facing the Darkness by Gadira

Fanwork Information

Summary:

They had always been two, the Broideress and the Healer. Rumours said that they had awoken side by side under the stars, but now the Broideress must face the darkness alone. Part I of the Broideress Arc.

Major Characters: Finwë, Míriel Serindë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 062
Posted on 6 June 2007 Updated on 6 June 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

Disclaimer: The characters belong to Tolkien.

Note: Big warning for indiscriminate bouts of foreshadowing.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I've been wanting to read this for a long time, since seeing it up on HASA but *glares at archive* I've been rather busy. ;) So, now, I finally get to read it, and I am not disappointed. I love the cultural angles that you explore; the differences between the Elven kindreds. This has always fascinated me, as a writer, but I see so few authors take on this topic. Your ideas are intriguing, the way you keep each kindred consistent with canon while also breathing life into each portrayal so as to expand beyond the "cliche" of each (i.e., "Teleri are silver-haired and like fish.")

Miriel is fascinating. I can't wait to read more about her and how she adjusts to a life as Queen of the Noldor, which seems impossible to imagine as she is portrayed now.

Well, if you were busy with this archive, you certainly haven´t lost your time, you! ;)

I have some kind of weakness for topics that no one else picks up. Back when I wrote this, I was also fighting Tolkien´s clichéd-idealised portrait of most females in the First Age. No wonder fanfiction writers write about the boys all the time: women are mostly sterotypically good and boring. My challenge was to show how they could be as interesting as any sword-waving, Balrog-slaying guy -and in the end, I think I just made them all look scary. :( )

Thanks for reviewing! I´m delighted that you liked my fic -I have read some of yours and found them breathtaking, but haven´t mustered the time and ability to write a worthy review. *hides*